Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen and MOT

virden

Whilst out for gentle evening's blat I came up to overtake a truck, when a large stone got thrown up and hit my windscreen. 😳 The experince definitely underlined the wisdom of wearing goggles. However said stone has left a star crack 10 mm in dia, surrounded by a ring crack 25mm dia and 3mm wide. The epicentre of the strike is located at the top RH of the screen about 40mm from the upper and side edges of the glass.

Question: Whilst not in my direct line of sight, does this damage consitute an MOT failure? If so where can I obtain a new screen at sensible cost?

Check your insurance. Most will replace a windscreen for an excess of about £75. Some (like MSM) will even waive the excess if you source and replace the screen yourself.

If you have an MOT coming up before you can get it fixed then consider just removing the screen - then you don't have to worry about wipers or washers either!

Don't forget that this could be an ideal opportunity to try out an aeroscreen. It was for me! and now my brand new screen (courtesy of MSM) spends most of its time in bubblewrap in the spare bedroom.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I like the reversal idea.

I won't be going for aeroscreens, I live in a farming community and have to drive over several dairy herd crossing points. Even with a full screen I already get splashes of organics on my clothes. In similar cirumstances and aero would get banned from entering the pub!

I was going to suggest the same thing - simply reverse the screen in the brackets, leaving the brackets attached (might have to loosen them).

But as well as the hood poppers now being on the inside, the MOT-able rear wiew mirror is perfectly placed for someone sat on the engine . . .

Bri

One last thought.

When removing the windscreen from the car, are the nuts that the hex bolts fit into secured to prevent them dropping down inside?

No! You have to remove the knee trim panels to get to the nuts from the inside. Though you can get replacement retaining channels with captive nuts if you intend changing screens regularly.

Alan

Teenage dreams, so hard to beat.