Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 / 500 MAP sensor

Red SLR

Anyone know how to fit a MAP sensor in an R300, I assume its the same as the R500 as it has the same RBTBS. I have the sensor but nothing else, I cant see where it takes a feed from the TBs either.

Nothing at all in the manual about it.

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Although the device you have is an air pressure sensor you will find that for the MBE R#00 application it is used as a barometric pressure sensor.

Measuring a steady manifold pressure off a set of port throttles is very difficult and Rover obviously couldn't put the required effort into making it work. The sensor should be clipped somewhere conveinient where it stays cool and dry. This will allow the engine management to make adjustments to the fuelling and spark to compensate for thin air at altitude. Ask an SLR owner with std Rover Mems ECU (is there anyone left out there??) how their car performs when driving thrugh the mountains of spain (for example) and you'll understand.

I guess Rover had to try to make it work as all their K4 EMS rely on manifold air pressure to sense load. Aftermarket ECUs can get away without MAF or MAP sensors as they dont have to be truly emmisions compliant (MOT emmsions are not the same as true emmsions compliance).

Bob

I did not know it was that bad.

So is there any disadvantage to not having it pluged in?

I take it an aftermarket ECU is needed to get round it?

I live near and drive some of the highest roads in England so I hope its not that bad.

X777CAT

Ju, Tescos is down in the Valley! I take it the drag all the way up Park Lane back home afterwards flumuxes it! Let alone the blat up to the Hanging Gate for a swift half!

Without the Baro sensor plugged in the EMS MAY use a default value. This wont be perfect but may be satisfactory most of the time. It will suffer (slightly) when at altitude as it wont know that the air is thin therefore it will overfuel and not have as much spark advance as it could. I.e. it will lose more power than it should.

On the other hand the EMS may not realise the null value is a fault and think the car is in a complete vacuum and then run like a sack of poo.

I dont understand why you are contemplating not fitting this?

I count the MBE ecu under "aftermarket" in this instance (thats not a criticism).

Sorry if its getting confusing. I'll simplify things:-

Please fit the sensor to your car it will make it work better. It is not a MAP sensor it does not need to be connected to the engine itself.

The sensor should be connected to the ecu via a dedicated connector which should be already in the engine bay wiring loom ready for it. Simply attach the sensor to the bulkhead away from the heat of the engine, job done.

What the engine is doing is of no consequence to the sensor. It's just there to help the engine management do a better job with its calculations.

Bob

Edited by - bob corb on 6 Sep 2002 08:10:38