Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Alloy or Magnesium M.B wheels?

The Pikey

• Support Team

If you aren't overly precious about the weight of the wheels then have a look at Image wheels. They do a range of 3 piece styles (billet ali centres with spun ali rims) which they can powder coat in a range of colours. I have 2 sets of Billet 4s and they weigh about 5kg per corner (7.5" and 8.5" wide) which is a bit more than the MB wheels but still pretty light. They also do a lightweight wheel which I should probably have gone for instead.

They are a good company to deal with and they keep their promises.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Jason

My two penneth if it is of any use to you...

I bought some MB mag R500 wheels from MB last year, made a big difference to the car (all that stuff I don't really understand about lower unsprung weight/weight distribution/moment of polar inertia). Basically car turned better and felt faster; I kid you not I could feel it within 10 metres of driving the car...

In terms of the infamous failures, there are in fact 2 types of MB R500 wheels (well centres in fact, rims are just rims as I understand it) the new ones are now made with thicker spokes and are "much stronger" according to MB. He showed the original version and the newer version side by side, they are noteably thicker at the back of the spoke.

In terms of crack testing, you can undo the bolts holding the centre in the rims and send just these to MB (ie no having to lug 4 wheels over to him) and I think this is c£100

I talked to MB about the ally ones you mentioned, he made one batch IIRC from what he told me, he mentioned to me they took ages to sell (they are a fair bit heavier than mag ones and not that much less expenive IIRC). The last set are used for wets on MB's track car, or atleast were when I was talking to him. So in practical terms he may not have any ally ones to sell to you; but I don't know that to be the case I should quickly add!

Not sure how helpful any of that is, if any clarification is required though give me a shout *smile*

Edited by - Neophyte on 8 Sep 2010 10:16:35

Jason

I think it is a function of the reduced weight.

I should have added to my original post, I went from 13" 8 spoke Caterham anthracite jobbies to MB's, so basically shed a fair bit of weight at each corner. Frustratingly I can't remeber the weight of the alloy ones you referred to (MB did mention it but I am getting old and have forgotten *redface* ), but I do recall thinking they are actually quite a bit heavier than the Mag versions and weren't that much cheaper.

Does MB have alloy available to buy then? What do they weigh and how much are they? Vs Mag ones I mean.

If you want to try my MB wheels on your car (to see if the difference is worth the hassle of Mag wheels) let me know. But I should warn you I tried my mates MB's and then I had to have a set... £1.2k later

right, thanks for that info. Yes, he is doing a production run of the alloy versions and as I be doing with either the crack testing or the worry that they might fail I'm going to go with these. The centres are twice the weight but I'll live with that. I'm also going to get the rims anodised black so they should look smoky cool *cool*

thanks again

Jason

A front MB is around 3.2kgs rears are around 3.9kgs. I don't remember the weight of the eight spokes, but as the rim is a lot meatier than on the MBs the inertia will be significantly more.

Also different types of tyres means a lot. I'm currently with Kumhos, and they feel "a bit" heavy...

MB centre's from my experience are pretty tough, however he is a bit of a nightmare to deal with so be warned if your looking to get them within a limited timescale to keep ringing him on a regular basis......

Harry at Image by contrast makes a very tough wheel, most of us Radical racers use them & I have NEVER heard of a centre failing, despite being hammered over curbs & generally loaded way harder than a 7 ever could. Plus he's very much on the case for deliveries & amenable to doing you a nice deal if you ask him nicely *thumbup* *thumbup*

Having wheels with an Ital PCD, my choice for new wheels was limited.

Through searching on blatchat, I came across Image Wheels as previously mentioned in this thread.

I decided to go with the 3 piece billett ali 93P's which are designed for lightweight cars such as our 7's.

Mine are all gloss black, that's the centers, rims, bolts and caps (now just want to find black 3/8th unf nuts!).

The service from Image Wheels was *thumbup* and I think the wheels look superb *tongue*

Stew

My 7 here

Blue Lines

No wheels have yet been purchased for a seven. Unitl I found them they had only been fitted to Race and Street Mini's. They have been manufactured for many years and raced successfully with no failiures.

It was only when I started making enquiries that Carl at Force and I have worked out the clearances, offests and PCD's for the 7. I was going to get a set myself then Carl had difficulties whilst transfering the machining of the Billet Centres in house. He has since returned to the external manufacture.

But my funds do not exist to purchase a set now as we have started the Sprint Busa Project instead.

Centers are though now in stock for imediate delivery. Anodising in any colour. Pictures of the wheels are on the 7 Tips site.

If you want any more info please email.

A Blast from the Past

www.7tips.co.uk - for all 7 related parts and upgrades.