Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bent upright?

skydragon

I've just fitted a CC front big brake upgrade kit (AP racing calipers) and AP race master cylinder and noticed that although the right hand side front caliper went on a treat, nice and straight with reference to the disc. When I fitted the left hand side front AP caliper I noticed two things...

a) The AP caliper was not straight/parallel with regards to the brake disk, unless I omitted one of the 'penny' washers that go between the caliper and upright bolt point ( with one washer omitted and the caliper bolted on, it was then straight with respect to the brake disk, or as straight as I can tell)

b) The steering track rod end is only a few mm away from the brake disk surface. Not a problem as such, but I notice that the right hand side has about double this gap between the track rod end and the brake disk.

I've done a few hundred miles of hard driving with this new setup and everything works just fine, but I'd like to ensure any 'misalignments' are rectified over the winter.

My car is a late 2003 ex-academy/Supergrad car, now modified a bit and I know with previous owners it's been pranged/rolled/T-boned and tyre walled.... and then straightened a few times (I view it as being the opposite of a 'polishers' car 😬 )I'm guessing that the left hand side front upright and possibly the left hand steering arm is bent slightly (past crash damage?) and ideally needs replacing??

Any views/comments?

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, with DVA K05 and a few other goodies...

website here