Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Painting the radiator - is it ok?

Kevork

I'm picking up my new R300 tomorrow, and it comes with a large capacity light-weight aluminium radiator as standard, which is silver and very shiny.

What I would like to do is spray it black, as personally I think a blackened grille (which has already been painted) and radiator will suit my car a lot better.

Can someone please recommend a paint or method for doing this?, or is there a technical reason why I shouldn't paint the radiator?

I was just planning to paint the front of the radiator with a thin single coat of black paint used for painting exhausts.

In addition I think(?) the colour black would have better cooling properties, as silver is usually better at keeping heat in.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Kevork

I painted my ali rad before installing it and it works very well. You are correct in the assumption that a black rad will work a bit better. Although wouldn't paint it with Exhaust paint as this is usually a ceramic coating designed to insulate. I used Simoniz "Black Paint" satin finish which is readily available. It clings to new ali very well which is a surprise considering you should really use an etch primer when painting ali.

My car now has 4000miles on it and the paint on the grill is chipping off but the rad is perfect apart from a bit of wildlife! I find Simoniz "black paint" really good stuff for alsorts of car bits, its dirt cheap too. By the way I dont work for Simoniz.

An alternative is to get it anodized black which would cost £50 and look poo due to all the weld/adhesive around the end tanks. Perhaps you should give that a miss, works well on Apollo tanks though, I got that anodised black to increase heat rejection, looks great.

Bob

Bob, thanks for your input, I'll paint mine with Simoniz too... are you sure you don't work for them?

I'll keep the inside part of the radiator silver so as to reflect heat from the engine bay.

Count, the mesh idea is an interesting one, but I think putting a single coat of black paint on the rad sounds a lot simpler.

Mark, not so sure about the swap idea 😬

Once again, thanks for your feedback guys!

Kevork,

Mesh behind the grill is a very good idea. Couple of quid for some 'chicken wire' type mesh from your local DIY shop, can of black satin hammerite (or the simonize if you have it), couple of cable ties and Bob's your auntie's live in lover!

Just imagine that nice lightweight ally rad of yours pi55ing all your coolant out after you pick up some debris when the loon infront on track goes off into the kitty litter and kicks up a cloud of stones.

Kev.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

I seem to remember reading that the radiator actually does most of its work through conduction, not radiation. Also, any extra radiative effect brought about by the blackness of the paint might be outweighed by the insulating properties of the paint layer???

And finally, a fine mesh in front of the radiator might block the airflow sufficiently to make a noticeable difference to the cooling efficiency. I remember a posting on here about meshes placed in front of carburettor inlets - someone described the effect that a fine mesh has on the airflow.

Anyway, I think if you want maximum cooling efficiency, don't paint the radiator and don't put a mesh in front of it.

Anthony

i agree - i can't see that painting is going to help at all - the radiative effect is tiny - its all mass flow added conduction.

As for the mesh harming the cooling - yes, it will. But I'd rather have the radiator work not quite as well than get holed and not work at all.

As an aside - i decent air filter is a good few bhp better than mesh over your trumpets...

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Halfrauds or DTweeks sell a black plastic grill, holes are about 6mm and it looks nice, I got some ('bout £20 a sheet), cut it to size and cable tied it to the 7 grille, as count says keeps most of the bigger stuff off the rad, doesn't affect cooling, makes the rad invisible as you really see the mesh, makes the grey 7 stand out more, can take it off whenever etc etc.

I spent big bucks on a Brise lightweight ali rad for my VX and have the standard "silver" se7en grill. To protect the rad I bought the 900mm x 450mm piece of black Ripspeed plastice covered grill mesh (about £20 from Halfords) and attached it to the nose behind the 7 grill. Protects the rad and emphasizes the "silver" se7en grill. BTW, it has no detectable effect on cooling - I've done several "hot" trackdays without any problem.

Job done *thumbup*

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 4 Sep 2002 08:36:20

The mesh must shag the airflow into the radiator and introduce a lot of turbulance.

The fact that several people have no cooling problems is probably due to the over capacity of the rad in general (which is no bad thing within reason) and the fact it is very high energy air due to its position and so enough is forced through anyway.

The way the cooling works means that unless you're actually short of capacity (overheating) the temperature will stabilise at it's normal temperature (78 on the stat ? and 95 at fan actuation) as usual. What's different is that with less air flowing over the core the rate of change of temperature will be different (faster up, slower down) which you're unlikely to notice unless you're an avid gauge watcher. *smile*

In such a situation the protection is probably worth it.

I have a mesh cover - and I've been watching the digi-readout like a hawk. Big difference I'm afraid. It heats up a lot quicker and runs a few degrees hotter. No problems so far but certainly don't go wandering round with the idea that it protects the rad with "no" trade off in cooling.

Reduces "bug count" a bit though!

Julian,

How fine is your mesh? Must be pretty fine to stop bugs. I was thinking about galv mesh where the holes are about 10mm square. Can't really see this affecting cooling that much, but I may be wrong....

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬