Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitrons or Ohlins

Martin S.

Martin

I suggest you wait until after the Tech Forum before making a purchase as I will be proposing that classes 1-4 are restricted to one way adjustable dampers in order to keep the cost for these classes down. The Ohlins are excellent but at £2.5k a set they are expensive.

Mark D

• Area Representative
Will I gain anything over my Freestyle/Avo set up

I'd say "Yes" (but only if they are valved and adjusted to suit your selected spring rates, and those selected spring rates are suitable)

are they worth it?

Now thats another question altgether!!!

I'd like to go a little stiffer than my current stardard roadsport springs and dampers, but "value for money"? What price can you justify for a few tenths or less?

I have had some experance of the standard, Nitrons and Ohlins.

I never gave the standard dampers any real time but can see that Richard has made good use of them this year. Looking back at class 3 there we people on diffrent dampers all seting quick times. I found the Nitrons great with 140 bhp. They do keep you on your toes and when going to 210bhp they held me back. I was always waiting to see when they would let me go. The did do this in class 3 but everything happens slower.

I wonder what would have happened if I had kept with the standard dampers.

Ohlins were new this year. Due to car set up, lack of test time I can not say a good word for them. Then again I can not say a bad word either. I am waiting to see how next year does.

so what do we know?

standard dampers work and give good results. see Richards results

Nitrons work well give good results. many class records in 3 and 4 set on them.

Ohlins: work with good results.

if you look at one ways there is only 1 damper that is tried and tested Nitron. Ohlins one way sound intreasting the could be better than the Nitrons but at a guess will need time to get right.

David

You have summarised your experiences there David and not necessarily what others have experienced.

I would entirely agree with your comments regarding the lower powered classes you would have to admit your car wasn't exactly balanced earlier this year (as you indicated above) and thus does not provide a fair reflection on the Ohlins.

The others who have tried them have all had "moments" when they feel that without them they would probably not have completed the run or indeed joined others in the hedge *eek*

You have only had one wet/dry day at Curbs with a balanced set up. It all takes time to build confidence. As I have been saying for a while now its all about confidence in your car. It doesn't really matter if the car oversteers or understeers (within reason) just so long as you know its going to do it. That way you are prepared for it and can pre empt any movement. In an ideal world the car is neutral and its great - but not always.

I really do not change the car much in the course of the season so I don't have to drive the next run wondering what is going to happen next. I'd rather know that it oversteered a touch here and there and use the right foot to deal with it.

There are other alternatives to both Ohlins and Nitron that are significantly less expensive that in my opinion work well and also allow the user to adjust and dial in the suspension. IMHO I would prefer these to the current Nitron set up. But as you know there are developments afoot to improve this significantly.

In the end it all comes down to personal choice and confidence. Sometimes changing something actually does nothing to improve the car technically but in your mind it does great things. You will go faster.

Finally i would add that there are no fast cars running standard suspension in Class 5. That's not to say standard is not fast. I know I could not go that quick that confidently on anything else.

A Blast from the Past

www.7tips.co.uk - for all 7 related parts and upgrades.

For my money

Nitrons and a flat flooring session with Gary May @ Freestyle worked wonders

After many years of motorcycling the Ohlins are great but a bit overpriced

Just removed my Nitrons after 18mths of road and track use, a quick spray with WD40 and a wipe over and they look like the day they went on. Quality product and less than half the price of the Ohlins.

I guess you pay your money and make your choice

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl @ Penn 7's *thumbup* Caution - May Contain Nuts !