Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

rear anti roll bar

tweeky

Im thinking of fitting the Cc anti roll bar kit to my car. Ive has a look on here and it seams the verdict still out on the differance this makes.

Im I better saving my money, and not fitting one.

Whats the differance between the ARB and the watts linkage? do they do the same job ? i know the watts linkage locats the de-deon but does it do the ARB job too

Tweeky

to infirmity.................... and beyond

Having plastic tyres (ZV3s) and only 120hp, having no rear ARB works really well - there's not a lot of roll anyway, but I find that I have enough grip to make it enjoyable. Ian (SM25T) recently removed his from his SV (so I assume that has Watts rear) and remarked on the difference it made to his all round comfort - lots less skipping around at the rear.

Watts will not act like an ARB, the de dion tube will just move in a plane perpendicular to the road, rather than an arc, which reduces rear steer.

Are you using the car for track? Road? What do you under the bonnet, and what rubber? Fit it, try it, then disconnect one side for the road, and reconnect it when you go on track?

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

• Leadership Team

Tweeky - my car has the Watts linkage setup and until recently had a RARB. The Watts link does not do the same job - as John says it simply compensates for the vertical arc movement of the dedion and turns it into a straight line - ie. reduces the for and aft movement of the wheels as the suspension works. Whether this is of benefit depends upon your use of the car ...... but if you don't have a Watts link, don't bother trying to fit one, there's a substantial amount of work needed if the car was not built to fit one.

As regards the RARB, my car has been very skitish at the rear and a real handful in the wet - I expected rain for a session at Curborough a couple of weeks ago so started to disconnect it ... then removed it fully. It's transformed the handling! For more tame in damp/wet conditions and actually more stable in the dry also - wish I'd done it some time ago! Also there's much less clonking at the rear!

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 31 Aug 2010 12:25:20

Might give this a go to make the ride a bit less crashy on the dreadful country roads we have in the North! Not ever played with the rear ARB - at least I cant remember doing so, but Ive had the car a while now and am forgetting what Ive done to it!

What difference an ARB will make to your car depends on a host of other things.. the front & rear spring rates, damper settings, rake etc etc etc.

I have one on my car and find that with it disconnected the car is a soggy understeery lump.. but then again I have relativly soft rear springs compared to some. However I do find the ARB to be a fantastic way to adjust the balance of the handling - typically soften it up if the road (or track) is slippery, and tighten up in the dry to kill the understeer. Get it right and it 4 wheel drifts to perfection under power 😬

The same also works in my tarmac rally car (a 944).. in the wet if I get lift off oversteer just slacken off the rear ARB. In the dry tighten it up to kill the understeer at the exit from corners. Nice and easy to adjust and very effective.

One of the Duratectives