Click here if you are having website access problems ×

crotch strap

Fred

which type of crotch strap? does it have one (painful )or two attachment points 🤔

if its the standard caterham one then you're in trouble as it clashes with the runners -try the Willans moneky tail belts (Ratrace can spec them for you). If your belts are more than 5 years old its probably a good idea to replace them anyway. And the monkey tail belts are SO much better than the Caterham 6 point items...

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

ah! sorry - I forgot one important point - if your cr has 6 belt mountings then use the two on the floor at the back. its only the older 4pt mount only chassises that have the problem.

If the caterham ones are as they were a year ago then the above does apply.

If you have the extra mounts then I wouldn't like to say (cos I don't know )

The main thing is to ensure that no load is taken by the seat - ie the belt should never touch the seat when loaded.

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Hoopingiddly, where are the 5th and 6th mounting points and how recently were they introduced? If you're referring to the two protruding chassis members behind the seats on the floor, which look like they've some from the bottom of the boot floor, then I didn't know that's what they were for. They don't have threads cut into them. Would I use them for the lap belts or the crotch belts?

I've got the moustache type. Less painful that the standard type, and unlike the monkey type, do utilise the 5th slot in the buckle. Can't say whether that's a good or bad thing although it does allow you to permanently mount the buckle on the crotch belts to force you to use them. I've elected not to as I end up talking a bit squeekily. *eek*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

You use the brackets welded to the floor behind the seats. You drill through the floor using the bracket as a template, then bolt through using the spacer supplied in the kit which is a push fit inside the bracket. Only thing you have to watch is the ally seat channel that is riveted on to the floorpan from the bottom. When I drilled through the hole wasn't in the middle of the channel. On the inners, the hole was so close to the edge of the U shaped channel that it took part of the side of the channel out . I had to take the channel off and cut reliefs into it. Pain in the ar*e that was. Typical Caterham, welding the brackets inside the car not lining up with the channels. Excuse? Well hardly anybody fits the crutch straps. Oh, and they gave me the wrong fitting kit to start with as well.

Oh, and another thing. I'd suggest that you put a piece of rubber mat or something similar underneath the passenger seat. If you don't, when you are driving alone the adjusting buckles on the passenger crotch strap bang on the floorpan. It took me ages to figure out what the noise was - I thought the exhaust was falling off!

This is for Hoopy. Don't see how the crotch strap can avoid touching the back of the hole cut in the bottom of seat. With my build anyway. 5'11" 13 stone. Centrally Obese, as the nurse said to me at the last medical. If yours doesn't touch, then you must cart your boll*cks around in a wheelbarrow! 😳