Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure - erratic gauge

Shaun Soanes

I noticed today some erratic readings from my oil pressure gauge. I have a1.6k ss. The first was just after start up, driving whilst waiting for the engine to warm. I noticed that at 5bar (which is normal until oil warm) The needle occasionally fluttered both ways. It did it three or four times. As the engine warmed it seemed to settle. I then took it easy, about 4-5k rpm until I came to a stop and engine was idling. I then noticed a similar needle response, idle gives about 2 bar and the flutter seemed to be about ¼ bar either way. Engine was now hot as fan was on, so when I got to a slip road onto a dual carriageway, I thought I would test the change up light 😬 worked in 1st 2nd and 3rd (didn’t get to 4th) as traffic prevented further testing after this all seemed fine, idle at 2 bar normal speed 4 bar no jittering needle.

Then on my journey home similar problem. The jittery needle seems to be erratic nothing I can tell sets it off. And only half a dozen blips (well that’s all I’ve noticed) on a 30 mile trip. I have checked and tightened all connections. (Starting on drive and letting warm up similar flutter once or twice) I have also checked oil, (slightly overfilled) Caterham changed the spec of my oil last service (don’t know why 🤔) from synerG 5w -40 to synerZ 0w –40 Could this be responsible 🤔 Or is it likely to be an erratic gauge or sender, (easy to replace), or something more worrying *eek*. Car only two years old, no track use and no anti-cav tank.

Any Thoughts 🤔

Shaun

the gauge is HEAVILY damped so you must have a BIG voltage fluctuation to make that amount of wobble. so I'd also suspect a loose connection somewhere.

If the other gauges are fuine then check around the back of the gauge. if its still dodge checkat the sender end - bottom right of the sump as you look fro the front of the car.

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Cheers Guys,

I have checked the connections and tightened them. Interesting point about voltage spikes. I was watching my speedo jump around at lunch time and i was stationary in the office car park first time its done that. hasn't done it since though. I have the electronic speedo with digital odmeter. What could be causing the spikes 🤔 - Altenator 🤔 and if they are occuring is it easy to check and remedy 🤔

Shaun

My speedo used to jump around in neutral and also had the same problems with the oil pressure sender unit on 1.6KSS, turned out to be the earths, check them for corrosion and tighten them all up then dollop on a big lump of waxoil. Did the trick for me.

There are about 6 earths grouped together under the LHS of the scuttle, on the wiper motor mounting bracket.

There are also 2 large diameter earths in the engine bay, one from the block and one from the I can't remember but you'll see them. I had the same problem recently, and the sender was changed and all earths cleaned and greased to protect them.

Regards,

Martin