Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo Problem

Mark P.

the whole mechanical speedo is a steaming pile of pant i'm afraid.... they all do that. except for when its falls to bits, beats itself against the road and then asks for 50 quid for a new angle drive plus the labour to fix it.

been there, got annoyed, been there again, got f***ed off, been there AGAIN, gave up and fitted a bike speedo. a stack or mycron will go in eventually...

☹️

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Dump it and fit a reliable and extremely accurate bike speedo... hours of fun!

See here

http://www.strangely.org/owned/bikecomp/index.html

and here under Current VX powered 7

http://mysite.freeserve.com/Caterham_DIY/

for why, what & how....

They are good for 160mph, accurate to ~0.3% at the speeds you'll do, durable and cheap.

I have two wheel sizes prog'd in for track and road....

Mine has the stack dash but the car accidentally came with the appropriate bits as if it has the digital standard one. Basically a small transducer effort that fastens into the gearbox and has an electrical take off that connects up to the speedo head.

Looks okay, TBH. With the Stack you just bin it all (still fitting the brass top hat thingy) and rely on a front wheel speed sensor. (but no mention in the manual so happy guessing!)

Just had the same problem then eventually the speedo stops working *thumbdown*

Got to echo Hoopy's comments re the speedo bits and if your car is pre 98 Caterham can no longer supply just the bit that failed you have to buy the new style right angled drive and a new speedo cable as the design changed *mad* *mad* just £55 plus P&P and no perfomance improvement

Not too bothered about the speedo but as I'm an a limited mileage Ins policy I thought the insures might raise a few eyebrows if every MOT had the same milage on it

Andy

• 1 month later...

The saga continues...

After trying unsuccessfully to get someone local to repair the car I thought, oh sod it, and as of yesterday became the proud owner of a new pair of shiny ramps courtesy of Halfords! A quick reconnaissance revealed the extent of the damage. (Not much room under there is there!)

Apart from the woes with the speedo drive I've also managed to destroy the gearbox to chassis mounting. It looks fairly straight-forward to replace - can anyone share any wisdom on this one? Am I about to discover some weird oddity of design?

I've also managed to sever three of the wires in the loom passing through the tunnel and badly mangled what looks to be the earth cable. This explains lack of fuel gauge, brake lights and one side indicators!

I've also found a previous repair to the fuel tank is leaking. Luckily the previous owner passed on a new one (tank that is) in case of this eventuality. The assembly manual doesn't give any detail on how the tank is fitted. Is it pre-installed in the kit? Can anyone supply any hints on this job? Thanks in anticipation!

Finally I've read through the forum on the subject of bike speedo installations and have decided that I'm going to follow suit. Someone mentioned the Panoram but didn't know where to get it - well my local Halfords (Slough) stocks both the wired and wireless one.

Bob

I fitted a new tank in my 98 SLR, fairly straight forward on my car as there was no tank protection etc although it's a squeeze to get it in through the underside. Had I have wanted to drop it in from above I would have had to remove the roll cage which means undoing dampers etc, didn't fancy that!, i beleive it's the same if you have an FIA or std bar .

Remove the boot floor, undo the wires to the pump and sender unit, disconnect all the pipes including the one from the pump. Undo the clamp nuts that hold the strap that holds the tank in.

Raise the car as high as you can (read very high) and put the tank up between the support straps, you have to be a bit brutal to get it to drop into place.

BTW I believe the tank is supposed to have foam strips to protect it where it rests on the straps and where the clamp rail fits.

Mark

Hi Mark

Great thanks! That's the way I'll do it. Do you think a pair of ramps will raise the car high enough?

All - oops! I posted this update into the wrong thread sorry!!! Will out it where it was supposed to go *eek*

Bob