Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter stopping!

Ian Barkley

If this it the Magnetti Marelli starter from '97 vintage k-series then the "when it's hot" bit of the symptoms is a red herring. The wiring inside the solenoid has probably had a mechanical rather than heat related failure. I fixed one this weekend.

You have to desolder two wires on the outside of the solenoid, remove the two bolts from the connection end of the solenoid to remove the cap and solder in an extension to the broken stub of wire, feeding it back through the cap, resoldering and bolting everything up.

Alternatively there is a place in Camberley which does reconditioned ones for a tenner. I will look up the number.

Peter

Thanks for your posting.

My 7 is a ‘97 K so I suspect that you are right about the solenoid. I will have a go at it as soon as I can [might have to wait until after Cadwell Park] but if unsucessful I could be very grateful for the number in Camberley.

Ian B

I just bought a brand new solenoid for my 1997 K-series starter, 17 quid. Only problem was that it had a stud instead of a spade connector, and the stud fouled the #3 exhaust downpipe. Sawed the stud off and bolted on the remains of the old spade.

Solenoid came from Lucas Servicecentre in Cambridge. They'll do a complete exchange starter motor for 87quid (about half the price of a new one from Caterham).

Mike

Peter C has alerted me to your problem. I found a place in Mitcham (sorry not Camberley)when I had a stuffed solenoid. They did me a new (or maybe recon) one for a tenner with the connections that I requested which solved the problem for me.

The details are...Grove Autoparts in Mitcham. 0208 640 3068.

Hope this helps.

Graham

GRidgway