Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

removing flywheel on a K

jackb_ms

My Rover manual states; "Prevent the flywheel from turning by locking the ring gear teeth (illustration of a sexy looking fabricated tool) or by bolting a strap between the flywheel and the cylinder block/crankcase.

Slacken and remove the flywheel retaining bolts and discard them The bolts must be renewed whenever they are disturbed."

It gives a torque figure of 85 Nm / 63 lb-ft, (or FT!)

I use a big breaker bar with 22mm (I think) socket on the front flywheel bolt to stop the crank turning.

Then use a big torque wrench to undo the flywheel bolts.

You may need someone sitting on the engine to stop it moving about..

Cheers - Simon

Fecking big screwdriver in the ring gear and 6point Skt works every time for me same screwdriver same place locks F/Wheel for front pulley bolt removal.

Never mind all these fancy tools 😬

Only special K tools I have is Torx socket for head through bolt and 3 digital gauges for timing

Save yourself some dosh as 2 will do and it's easier if the TDC one is analogue rather than digital
Well, I have to say I agree, especially if you do the job infrequently. That's exactly how I timed my cams on my SS-R. If you make a living timing cams, follow Oily's website advice and go for two digital for the cams and one analogue for TDC.

JV