Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear toe-in

V7 SLR

Not knowing much about suspension geometry and how it relates to handling, I was wondering whether there is any accepted wisdom and even some practical examples of adding toe-in/outthe rear.

I know (guess) that to do this on a de Dion Caterham would mean shaving the ears appropriately, meaning it's a one-way modification, hence my call for anyone having done this for real (proof required).

Curious of Worcs.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Don't trim your ears, sounds too painful, fit shims under the bolts.

Shims under the bolts between the ear and the de dion tube will adjust the toe, under the back pair for more toe out and under the front pair for more toe in. Shims under the bolts between the hub carrier and the ear will adjust the camber, under the bottom pair for more negative.

Mines been shimmed for about 4 years now. Someone will be along in two ticks to tell you that shimming the ear will risk breaking the bolts due to loading them off centre but in my experience this is not the case. Guess it must be due to my de dion tube being less likely loaded than most.....

I believe, but wait to be corrected, that permanent toe-in at the rears will generate more grip in a straight line and improve cornering ability - upto a certain point of course.

Honda and others have tuned the rear suspension on some of their saloons to generate more toe-in under compression i.e. when the suspension is compressed by body roll and the wheel is on the outside of the bend the toe-in will increase.

JAG *cool*

Ive just had my tracking checked and part of the readoud including the rear toe-out , which was +3 minutes on the left and +9minutes on the right = 12 minutes in total.

No idea what effect this has but i'm hoping that changing the fron from +20 to -20 will make it a bit less twitchy. I'm now for a blat to the Carrotland meeting to find out...

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

rear toe in will increase stability. eventually it will hurt straight line speed if you have enough of it.

I had lots (8 degrees) in finland as the dedion was bent and had to make the front ARB full soft and the rear full hard (with a lesser case of this on the dampers) to get the car vaguely neutral. It was still VERY stable and I could break STUPIDLY late into corners on the track with impunity.

Going to have to be careful at Cadwell with a straight dedion...

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

• 2 weeks later...

the freestyle "rear geometry" mod. as far as i knew they were only offering adjustable roll bars (slung under the petrol tank at the rear or normal position at the front) and spring/damper combos.

ah! I think len did say they were working on something. I guess this is the something. except we don't know what "something" is *wink*

how much is it 🤔 does it have a name that might let us devine its purpose 🤔

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

The freestyle kit is labled "Dedion shim kit" and they rate it to be quite good, but then they would.

Costs £29.50 which is cheap enough to make a call see if it is what you want and buy it if it doesn't work then you have not lost much and should give you something to do over the winter. *thumbup*

And report back I trust?

If it's something that they post then it must be a predetermined deliberate adjustment to, say, add a bit more negative camber or add a bit of toe in. My comment on this is that it's all very well doing this BUT it relies on the de dion tubes all being accurately made and installed to give a common starting point. In my experience that is not the case. So make sure you get the geometry checked after fitting it and make sure it ends up where Juno (sorry Freestyle) were intending it to be.

Hi

To quote the Freestyle ad in latest LF...

Its called a De dion shim kit and.....

"They work by moving the yaw centre closer to the centre of gravity and hence reduce the polar moment of inertia"

Cost a reasonable £29.50

Translation for 'non suspension expert' anyone *confused*

Back, poorer and Se7ening again!