Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

URGENT - advise on fixing a fuel leak ....

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

... in the base of the fuel tank *eek* I've fuel weeping from a small hole/cut in the main exposed area of the tank visible beneath the rear of the car- enough to run down the tank to the lower chassis rail and over 24 hours cause a damp patch on the garage floor. And now I think I've disturbed it and made it worse!

Is there an easy way of doing a temporary fix without removing the fuel or the tank? I've only done around 30 miles since filling up!!!! Silicone? Plastic padding? Tank tape?

If I can fix it temporarily it'll give me time to think what to do next - repair or replace?

Stu.

Fibre Glass Repair kit will do it (a tenner from halfords) or maybe some form of tape / gaffer tape for a quick fix. Will be easy to remove for a more long-term solution when you get one.

Whatever you do, don't try and weld it!! *eek*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calm down dear, it's only a forum!

• Leadership Team

Thanks for the response *thumbup* Tried the gaffer tape but no success due to not being able to get the surface dry enough for long enough - I've discovered the leak is through a crack along the edge of one of the "strengthening creases" and as such was just wicking across the surface as the petrol came through *mad* This looks like a simple stress crack - no sign of any damage. Also the petro-patch looks a good idea to have in just in case .... for next time!

So no choice - drained and removed the tank, and maybe the rear end refurb is now going to be sooner rather than later!

Can tanks be welded or is there no option but to replace?

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 19 Aug 2010 21:13:39

They can - but only by someone who know's what they are doing - otherwise you end up with a quick fill balloon shaped tank.

However, now you have the tank out and dry, and want a temporary patch, or as long as it takes for the crack to grow, attack the area with scotchbrite (or new, clean, dish washer scourer), clean with petrol / thinners / acetone and let dry. Apply petro patch.

I've had great succees with petro patch in the past - but now use wonderweld from the makers of JB Weld - actuallym, JB Weld works well too - rescued Deb's Polo tank for several more years where they crack at the filler neck connection.

Bri

Yes tanks can be welded but should be well aired and then steam cleaned (inside) first,

another thumbs up for petro patch, fixed many a mini petrol tank in me yoof with it, you get some bandage type material and a bottle of pinky red gloop, paint gloop in area you want to seal apply some gloop onto bandage and then apply bandage to tank, gloop sides together, brush some more gloop over top of bandage, repeat with overlap if bigger area needed and leave to dry, would also fixed cracks in batteries but I guess they are tougher these days.

CSR 200 Aztec and Black

Edited by - tbird on 19 Aug 2010 21:28:29

Probably too late now but for future information Opal Fruits (or Starburst as they are now called) work suprisingly well for emergency fuel tank repairs! 2 chews then just press it over the hole.

I did it last year when my rear anti-roll bar snapped and punctured my tank - the repair stayed fuel tight for a couple of weeks before i fixed it with some of that chemical metal stuff.

Hi my tank has gone in the same place I think your next leak if its the same as mine will be up the front of the tank in the same plane, I think its where the baffle is welded into the Tank but thats a guess, I repaired my tank with stuff we us on the aircraft for the fuel tanks called Thiokol and I hope to get the tank out and have it repaired over the winter Regards Paul

• Leadership Team

I didn't realise there were so many ways to fix a leak!

The tank's out and cleaned and is planned to be welded - no signs of any other leaks but then again it'd be impossible to spot the existing leak if it wasn't for petrol coming out ☹️

Stu.

• 1 month later...

Hi Just an update on my fuel tank leak I have remove the tank and it is the baffle that has pulled the welds 😳 so I have got some water running through it and I hope to get it into the welder at work foe a tig repair Regards Paul

North Wales Sports Cars caring for Caterhams in North Wales.

Dodge Viper blue Zetec Caterham