Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Big Heads

Domus

Got these in the post today, I imagined that they would straddle the stays, however the gap is too small. I assume these are the correct ones, cable tie them on the stays then drop the wing on with some suitable goo, let it go off overnight, remove and lay on some more goo.

Does that sound like a plan?

www.peters7.co.uk

Hi Domus,

Here is what I did

1. Open up the "wings" of the big head in a vice to let them straddle a little better over the wing stay

2. Roughen up the flat faces of the big head and clean with some acetone (nail varnish remover). Degrease the corresponding area on the inside of the wings too

3. Cable tie the big heads onto the wing stay loosely with a small cable tie

4. Place goo on big head

5. Drop wing into place and adjust until happy

6. Snip cable ties off and take wing onto bench. Turn over and carefully press the big heads into the goo so it comes out of the holes

7. Add more goo and smooth it over and around the bighead

8. Leave overnight to go off.

HTH

Mark

The big heads I had did (just) straddle the stays.

Apart from that, the rest of what you describe is what I did. Apart from "some" more goo should be "lots" more goo. I "gooed" some patches over the bighead for added strength and the goo never failed. I did find that the bigheads themselves failed from fatigue, however - maybe I overstressed them getting them over the stays ...

Now I just goo directly onto the stay.

ETA: Preparation of the wing itself (clean; sanded with wet and dry) is key.

Jez

Edited by - Z3MCJez on 19 Aug 2010 13:55:16

I did the same but I had a slight movement of the cycle wings due to the cable ties slipping on the stays (couldn't get them tight enough)- but only if you forced them. The Big Head to fibre glass joint is rock solid. I was concerned that the IVA examiner would try this when he noticed I hadn't used screws and fail me, so I also ran a bead of silicone sealant along each edge of the stay against the fibre glass - this was enough to give no movement at all, yet you can always cut this with a knife and then snip the ties to remove the wings.

• Area Representative
Does that sound like a plan?

Peter

That's what I did, but I'm sure my big heads were a reasonable fit on the stays.

As it happens one of my wings is off the car and is in Radcliffe. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'll let you have a look at it and I'll try and dig out the "goo". *thumbup*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Trying to do exactly this job and got the 'glue' as recomended by RiF, ie Terostat MS 939. Looks like it should be applied using the normal cartridge type gun but that will not work.

I have broken the seal but it does not appear as if the base will move as it does in a normal cartridge.

Am I completely missing the point or do Henkel have a completely different system?

Been searching on internet can can find loads on the product and pictures of what look like normal cartridge guns.

Alan

• Area Representative

Peter

See you later.

Alan

It is a normal cartridge gun, but has a very tight metal lid on the bottom, which you need to remove. It's a bit of a struggle.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Paul

Thanks for the info........it will be even tighter now given I put it in the gun and started trying to use it and applied some pressure last night 😳

Good job I didn't have one of the fancy electric guns from work or I would have made a very big sticky mess.

Will have another go tonight.

Alan