Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

vertical movement in the steering column

jackb_ms

Hi

I have some vertical movement in the steering column but not left to right and i am not sure it's normal

I took apart the steering column clamp, cleaned it and refitted it and i have still the same amount of play.

the movement doesn't seems to be coming from the steering rack but from the upper part of the steering column

How much vertical mouvement do you have in your 7 or 21?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

upper steering column in a 21 is a calibra part. i have movement in mine, though it is in the rotational movement.

linear movement would either be play in the two bolts holding it to the frame inside the dash or play in the adjustable steering column mechanism.

Open up your dash and check the bolts are done up tightly. if still play (like mine), then replace (which is a COMPLETE PIG OF A JOB).

There should be zero movement.

If you get an assistant to pull and push you should easily find the point of movement.

There are only four joints:

1/ The rack mountings to the chassis

2/ The universal joint just as the column enters the rack. 2 splined bits to look at

3/ The clamp half way down

4/ The steering wheel

Put thumb and finger over each area and have a feel.

If this reveals nothing then check that the output from the rack is not moving in the housing, very rare but if the joints are ok then it is the only option left as far as I can see.

Hope this helps, info for a 7.

S7MAD

Edited by - MADMALC on 15 Aug 2010 21:26:30

The calibra upper section is held in by 3 bolts - 2 downwards and 1 into a boss that attaches to the "tab" above the upper column part. There is then a grub screw between that and the middle section of the column. Check all of these first.

Because of the adjuster mechanism etc, you might find that there is play in the universal "ball" at the top which works with the adjuster.

When looking at steve's earlier, he had play in this joint so we may be looking to buy 2 new upper sections, one for him and one for my car. It can all be taken out without taking the leather cowling off, but you would need to take tacho/speedo out and detatch all of the ignition wiring.

pig of a job.

Some update

I have remove the column and this is what it looks like out side the car here

I understand where the play is coming from, worn red plastic bush, which was held in place by some electrical tape *confused* 😳

There is also some play in the upper mechanisme, which is very obvious when you move the column by hand.

Dave was yours the same when you took it out? Is there an improvement part for this plactic bush?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Edited by - jackb_ms on 21 Aug 2010 22:44:09