Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removable steering wheel info please

Bob_r

I'm new to Caterhams, so at the risk of appearing thick - or at least thicker than usual!

can someone please tell me how the removable steering wheel hub fits to the existing steering column? *confused*

I'd like to be sure that I can fit one to my car before making the investment.

Bob

Blatting around Bucks

Yes Bob's right you need a new top column and boss, they're easy to fix just undo the joining clamp engine side of the bulk head remove old column insert new.

You may need to adjust the rack and uj at the bottom end to get the Steering wheel straight though.

Parts about £150 from Caterham, James Whiting or Demon Tweeks.

• Leadership Team

Current removable wheel is Racetech I think - no wobbles.

Rob, bear in mind that you will loose the steering lock - the column side of the lock is not fitted on the removable wheel columns. It is possible to transfer the part needed from your old column - angle grinder needed etc. - I've done this to retain steering lock ability.

Stu.

Bob,

I got all my bits (upper column and boss) off James Whiting, and I'm very pleased with it. The "wobble" issue may be personal, but I don't think the Q/R bit on mine is a problem. I don't have a problem with the lack of steering lock, because I take the wheel off as an anti-theft measure. If you're in the area, do you want to pop round and have a look at mine?

Oliver

98,000 miles so far

Raceline one is the "lifeline" one I have - heard differing stories but both mine and another guy I know have "wobblies" - mine rocks left and right by about 1mm or so. Not a lot but then why accept any play?

Why do you need one anyway? People say it helps getting in and out? Seems odd, but if that's what turns you on?

thanks for all the comment guys, I might take you up on your offer Oliver - but I don't get over that way to often, I'll let you know.

Looks like I might benefit from getting along to the monthly meeting, unfortunately I know I can't make it during september.

thanks again.

Bob

Blatting around Bucks

Mines a James Whiting Race Tech no problems with wobble but I do take Julians point I have a small chain and lock to lock the wheel in the boot (chain round the Roll Bar) when I leave the car rather than carry it around with me.

One guy unfortunatly had his wheel nicked at LeMans this year , its a long way back with a pair of mole grips (actually I thinl red line flew a wheel out to him).

Andy