Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rusty Chrome Headlamps

Smegnoguk

This query was tucked away in sombody elses topic so I haven't had a response. Hope somebody can help.

I have been unable to keep my Super Seven in my garage since April so it has been sitting on the drive in some of the wettest weather I can ever remember. The only real damage is rusty chrome cups that the headlamps sit on. I asked Caterham for two replacements and they only sell the whole headlamp unit! £120 the pair (plus VAT no doubt). Is there a cheaper solution?

Who’s looking at the Ferrari? Nobody! That’s who! (Admired by all 5 year-old boys and a surprising number of elderly ladies)

Thanks for the thought Andy. I tried Wipac and they said try Caterham Cars because they usually keep a small supply of the offending cups. Unfortunately, Caterhams told me they didn't and could only suply a complete lamp. I asked Wipac how much a complete lamp was and they said they could only supply Caterhams! I detect some sort of cartel (agreement for the exchange of prisoners - Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary) being operated here NOT for the convenience of Caterham owners! Ah Well! Back to the elbow grease and brasso! ☹️

Who’s looking at the Ferrari? Nobody! That’s who! (Admired by all 5 year-old boys and a surprising number of elderly ladies)

Have a look through the likes of Classic cars, and such magazines, should have some folks advertising chrome restoration, and if possible get the three plating process, copper, nickel, and chrome, it'll stay on for ever, had my headlamps done like this 20 years ago and still look like new, Caio Nigel. *cool*

Good idea Nigel. I will definitely look into that over the winter. Got my daughter's photographs of New Zealand the other day. Breathtaking! I'll be coming over to stay at your place for about six months if you would like to get the spare room aired! 😬

Certainly, if your coming down to the other end of the world get in touch, would be good to talk 7s, and point out some of the better roads, 700 mile blat this weekend, great weather, great scenery, and as Stephanie's peering at me, great company, have fun, oh and a chap up the road has a '74 Ferrari, not sure which model, and he also had a 7 years ago, Nigel.