Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower wishbone geometry?

Asklepios

Does anyone know the datum at rest of the lower wishbone which theoretically functions best?

I have acquired an electronic inclinometer and am keen to fiddle.

There is bound to be an ideal position which minimises bump steer. I have std track and 300lbs springs ,1/2" arb..Swapping between 15 and 13" wheels meens that the ride height varies (alright 2 variables), but is always a bit fudged because of slight irregularities in the floor. I hope to get the starting point wrt the geometry,and can now reliably use thas method.Any suggestions 🤔

S'cuse me for maybe being a touch daft, but surely the angle of dangle of the lower wishbone with not affect the actual amount of bumpsteer - if the suspension moves form anywhere in its travel to anywhere else, the bumpsteer will remain exactly the same as before?

The relationship of the rack to the suspension and the relative position of the pivots of the track rods will affect the bumpsteer. All pivot points might be in perfectly correct positions at straight ahead but as soon as lock is applied, it all changes.

I suppose if you restrict travel, then the amount of bumpsteer in that area of travel is less in amount than from full droop to compression but . . . then it will hit the bumpstops, the spring rate will suddenly climb, the tyres suddenly lose grip and away you go . . .unless you hjave progressive bumstops . ..

Bri

(feelign argumentative this morning - or is it afternoon?)