Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Drip - 1.4K

Mort

This has me confused, so very grateful for any input.

1.4 K-series (2005), 5-speed. I'm getting a small oil drip, apparently from the gearbox area, which only appears after the car has stood for 3-4 days. It's appearing on the garage floor just behind the cross member across the transmission tunnel which the gearbox is bolted to. When I use the car the drip doesn't appear, It only happens after the car has stood for 3 - 4 days.

I can't see anything obvious. Coolant is fine, oil filler is clean. It only has just over 2000 dry miles on it ,and the engine and gearbox are clean and new-looking. I haven't been able to jack it up to take a proper look from underneath yet (having put my back out *rolleyes*) but I will as soon as I'm mobile again.

I'm not clear what is and isn't 'normal', as I'm still very much finding my feet with the K-Series, and I don't know whether I should actually expect a dry floor. Is there anywhere in particular that I should be looking, is there a likely cause, or is there a gearbox breather that might be the culprit.

The car is still under warranty from Caterham, so if this sounds ominous then I'll be taking it back for them to look at.

Regards

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

Edited by - Mort on 2 Aug 2010 17:40:34

Have a look where the speedo cable goes into the gearbox. You realy need to go underneath with a dry finger and poke around. Hope the back improves soon, you have my sympathy.

If it is under warranty I would go back sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.

S7MAD

Thanks. *thumbup*

Had a roll around underneath. Found oil drips on what I assume is the connector for the electronic speedo - on the drivers side towards the back of the gearbox, silver, looks like a knurled connector, with a further flat cylinder coming off that with a cable leading away. Didn't notice any unusual smell though.

I guess Ill be taking it back to Caterham. *rolleyes*

Nick

That is the mechanical drive for the speedo. They all usually leak a tiny bit (more of a weep). Depends how much you have really - I have replaced mine and it leaks still but not enough to bother worrying about - remember that a drop of oil goes a long way often on the floor! If they are happy to change it then maybe it could be worthwhile - I would guess it would come back though.

Thanks for this. It's not too bad - but as I seem to have a slightly weeping head gasket it'll be going back anyway - so may as well get it done. *rolleyes*

Nick

i also have a 1.4k, also with a oil leak from gearbox somewhere. i think it may be from where the box is joined to the bell housing, apparently there is a cardboard gasket, i have been advised that the use of 2 gaskets instead of just one is the way to go, unfortunately thats an engine out job, mine is going back to caterham under warrenty so hopfully it will be cured. *biggrin*