Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dreaded starter click

Dave B

I know its been done to death but the search function is not working at the mo. Car is yr 2000 1600 K series. never had a problem starting since had the car 19 months. Went for a great blat today but when parking the car on the main road outside house to swap cars over, just the dreaded click, which actually sounds more like a clunk, from starter. Bonnet off and the brown wire from solenoid goes into a relay on the scuttle with 30A fuse. So looks like the mod has been done. As car is in a precarious position with no chance of pushing it up our 1 in 4 drive, any advise greatly appreciated.

Dave B

Make sure the car is not in gear & do the following: make up a flylead (as thick a wire as you have) with a female lucar connector on one end & bare the other; about 1 meter length should be ok.

Remove the small (solenoid) wire from the starter & replace with flylead.

Turn on ignition & touch bare end of flylead to positive terminal of your battery.

Starter should spin up & the engine should start. If not there is a problem with the starter. If it starts you will need to renew some of the starter wiring & replace the relay as well.

Check out this thread: here

3 weekends ago I stopped the engine at Etchingham Level Crossing ( East Sussex) and got the dreaded click when the train had passed. Had to push the car off the road to let the queue behind past.. Very embarassing and the first time ever in 42,000 miles in my 2003 1.8 SV. Burning my arm on the exhaust I felt around the starter and pulled and pushed all the wires,which were all completely tight. Got back in and all has been fine ever since !. Guess the wire to the solenoid was not making contact somehow.

Well it just had to be a duff starter. Luckily I bought a new one as spare before I left UK. Only issue now is that I cant get at the top bolt that holds the starter. Do I have to take no 4 primary off and water rail to get at this last bolt? Also my new starter only has two fixing holes, the existing one has three, have I got the wrong starter!!!!!

Dave B

No need to touch the primary or water rail. It's a pig to get at and even with the right spanner (you may need to modify the one you have) it's a question of half a flat, turn the spanner over, half a flat, turn the spanner back, half a flat...

Top tip: put a bunch of washers under the head once it's out, with the extra clearance you can do a whole flat at time then *rolleyes*

patneale: I'd replace the wire to the solenoid 😶‍🌫️

Thanks Tony, it really is a pig to get at, I'm a bit wary of rounding off the nut. I am still not sure if I have the correct replacement starter as I said new one has two fixing holes. The lead to the starter broke off when I tried to remove it so replacement is a definate.

Dave B

Well thanks to my local Spanish mechanic I now have a functioning starter. Bad news is the new one I boght in UK is two bolt fixing and the one on car is three bolt fixing. Is the starter a CC only part or OEM from another make of car. Just praying it will hold out until I get back to UK next year and can source the correct one.

Dave B

Bad news is the new one I boght in UK is two bolt fixing and the one on car is three bolt fixing
I have 2 identical Magneton starters for my car supplied by Brise: one has a 2 hole fitting & the other 3.

2 bolts are more than adequate to secure the starter, so if it fits............