Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Engined Supersport - Norfolk

Nifty

A need to raise some capital requires me to offer my car for sale.

Originally built as a 1400 Supersport in 1995, the car was run for 6 month’s by Nick O’Brien the Store Manager. Caterham then sold the car on and it passed through two owners (both L7C members) until I bought her in December 2001. At this stage she was still in her original 1400 Supersport state, painted BRG with yellow nosecone and cycle wings.

Over the winter of 2003/2004 I completely stripped her down and had the chassis re-powdercoated and re-panellled by Arch. She was resprayed in exactly the same VAG metallic BRG (I have the paint code) that she was originally and the side panels were covered with Armourfend to prevent pebble rash. Whilst the gearbox was out I took the opportunity to take it to BGH and have the close ratio conversion done, to raise first gear, close the others up and shorten fifth gear – giving the best compromise between track and road. She was rebuilt fitting an FIA rollbar, wide track front suspension and adjustable platforms and was flatfloored and set up by Mark Hicks [F1 (Williams) and Le Mans (Bentley) winning pedigree].

Over the winter of 2006/2007 I fitted a rebuilt (Minister) ex-race dry sump R400 engine complete with PRRT, Hi Spec Ultralite 4 front callipers (Mintex 1144 pads) with grooved discs and a ZF LSD built up by Road & Race Transmissions.

Being a little anal about brake cables, hoses and wires rubbing there are numerous pieces of sacrificial rubber piping protecting against such wear and tear.

The car is on MB Mags fitted with 032Rs (205/65 rear, 185/65 front).

I also have the original set of 14” minilites with Bridgestone RE720s (185 all round) for MoT and wet road use if preferred or negotiated in.

The car is fitted with an RiF interchangeable aeroscreen but also comes with a (brand new on the insurance) heated windscreen and full wet weather gear. S-type seats with 6 point harnesses are fitted at present but the car is offered with a pair of Tillets too. The steering wheel is a detachable suede Momo.

The car is currently on the road having been MoTed in June and taxed until November but I will get a full years MoT once a sale has been agreed.

The car has been used for what it is designed for and is therefore showing one or two minor battle scars. Both front cycle wings are showing stress cracks in the gel coat. I have two new replacements from CC but have waited to get maximum life out of the old ones. These can easily be fitted if required. The rear wings are also showing one or two star cracks. I was thinking of replacing these with carbon ones (to avoid the need to have them painted), once again this can be negotiated.

There are also minor scratches around where the windscreen stanchions fit.

This car has been driven in its current R400 state by Richard Ince (Superlights, JCC and Radical championship winner) who was impressed with the set up. Also, at the hands of Rob Grigsby, at her last sprint outing (Curborough, May 2008) she recorded FTD.

Some pictures of her when I first got her are here, later wearing her windscreen may be seen here and with aeroscreen here.

Full Spec

1995 Supersport chassis (handbrake under dash)

Wide track front suspension and uprated front hub assemblies

R400 race engine (210hp) with Caterham gold pump, bell housing tank, dry sump system

Aluminium expansion tank with sight gauge (ex Dave Jackson - Helier Performance)

SLR 4-2-1 race exhaust

BGH close ratio 5 speed ‘box

ZF LSD

Hi Spec Ultralite 4 front callipers with Mintex 1144 pads on Turbo Groove discs

Mike Barnby R500 mags fitted with Avon 032Rs

Caged FIA roll bar

S-type leather seats

6 point harnesses with 3” shoulder straps (crutch belts not fitted at present but easily can be)

Interchangeable aeroscreen

Full weather gear and heated windscreen

Momo removable steering wheel (choice of suede or leather)

Fitted with heater

My intention is to sell the car as described above, with 12 months MoT, and including the replacement cycle wings.

Price £16,000 ONO

I also have various extras that may be negotiated into a deal or will be sold seperately later:

Extras not (yet) fitted

Piper vernier pulleys + new cam belt

MSV special repackable "quiet" exhaust

Pipercross airbox to fit roller barrels

Tillet seats (fibreglass)

Tonneau cover to fit Tillets

Head restraints and petty strut to fit FIA bar

Extra Wheels and Tyres

Set of 14” silver Minilites fitted with Bridgestone RE720s (185 all round) for MoT and wet road.

Set of 13" black centres, polished rims minilites on AO21s (185s all round), wet track, marginal on road.

Other Bits

SBF7s half hood

Outdoor waterproof, breathable cover

Indoor cover

Various odds and sods.

I am not intending to sell any of the bits seperately until such time as I have sold the car so please do not make any requests.

(I've probably forgotten one or two things, I'll update the post as I remember them!)

Car is situated in Kenninghall, Norfolk, about 3 miles south of Snetterton circuit.

For further information etc please ring either 07860 555727 (anytime) or 01953 887820 (evenings) or send me a Blatmail.

Cheers,

Nifty.

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬