Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ital axle - locking wheel nuts

Dirty Den

My locking wheel nuts are causing me a little bit of grief. They are a barrel type lock that you have to put a key in, which causes some 'flaps' to recede into the barrel. When the key is out, the flaps spring back out and lock the barrel into the wheel nut.

Unfortunately (perhaps through tightening the wheel nut up after having the wheel off) I can no longer physically fit the barrel into the nut. 🙆🏻

This design doesn't strike me as a particularly secure one, surely it wouldn't be too difficult to force these 'flaps' to redede without the key, say, with a screwdriver and a hammer? ☹️

Do Caterham (or anyone else) sell a design that doesn't involve a real key? The locking wheel nuts I've seen in Halfords etc involve putting a key 'cap' over the top of the nut, and then using that to undo the nut, something which I think would be more secure.

Or has anyone had the same problem as me and solved it in an ingenius way? *thumbup*

TIA

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Den, years ago I bought some locking wheel nuts which have a cover that is removed by aligning a magnetic disc type key at the outer end, a quarter turn, and off comes the cover, to reveal a nut which is a different physical size to the other three on the wheel, so a special spanner adapter was supplied in the kit of bits, these where manufactured in Japan, and as they have no aperture for the insertion of a "key", ie no gunge in the mechanism, have never caused me any problem, unfortunately I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, hope this is of some assistance, I would try to stay away from "key" operated locking nuts. Regards Nigel.

I had some of those magnetic ones as well, however my experience was not such a happy one. ☹️

They recently decided that they would no longer work, no end of messing around wouldn't shift them. *confused*

Two wacks with a cold chisel and they were off!! - so much for security. 😳

If anybody knows where to get some of the 'unique' socket type - please 'post' details so that I can get some. *thumbup*

Bob

Blatting around Bucks

BTTT...

Thanks for the replies chaps. I swapped the barrel from the nut that wouldn't fit, with another nut on a different wheel. The barrel went straight in. Looks like I have caused the nut to close up slightly, so that the barrel won't fit in it anymore.

Perhaps I need to be equally violent putting the barrel in the nut, as I obviously am when tightening up my wheel nuts! *smile*

I don't like the 'key' arrangement, I think I'll see what else Caterham have/can offer.

Any other ideas?

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

The ones that Caterham sell are made/marketed by Mountney and rely on a splined key. The locking nut that this fits is covered by a removable stainless cover when on the wheel. The arrangement works well, also had them on a previous couple of Minis with similar wheels. Only occasional problem is that the plastic removal tool for the stainless cover can break if the splined nut is not greased before it is fitted. However Mountney then sent me new bits free...good service!!!

• 3 weeks later...