Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Are Camshaft covers interchangeable?

Milesk

I have a 1.8k series with VVC head - used a DVA kit to convert my old 1.4 to 1.8.

My question is, I used the old camshaft cover from the 1.4 which is taller by some 1.5cms as I had the apollo already drilled.

However I think I may have a slight leak at the front left-exhaust side (OK it could be the gaskett) I am slowly eliminating oil leak possibilities.

When I compare the 1.4 to the 1.8 the outer edge is the same width however at the front the inner edge is smaller: ergo not such a large surface area to make contact with the gaskett and cam carrier

My logic dictates I would be better off marrying the original cam cover with the original cam carrier.

Hope this makes sence

Miles

Ok as no replys I will trying explaining - then I can take general comments.

A 1.4k series cam shaft cover is some 1 to 1.5cms higher than a 1.8vvc.

The cam carriage has the cams rotating within - as far as I can see, at no time does a mechanical part from the cams need any addidtional height?

I think the 1.4cam does not seal as well the 1.8 on the cam carriage, I want to swap them round - can anyone find fault in my logic?

Logic dictates if you have the cam cover from the 1.8 vvc it should fit on your modified head as that is where it came from originally. If you don't want to drill your new cover you can have my (came from a 1.6) old one for a tenner. Try before you buy?

There was a set of Billet cam covers made some years ago which where available in a series of Anodised colours and the raised ribs could be polished They are very smart and have all the drilling's for Apollo and breathers Perhaps the originator could post a sample pic up again and it might just be time for another bulk order 😬 *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

There are a couple of different "original" Rover cam covers - the one normally used in the Caterham install is around 25 to 35mm tall, the other is probably 40 to 50mm. The lower version will fit your install fine.

Stu.