Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What spring rates for a Duratec car?

The Pikey

Jason,

What is the use of the car?

Mine, which is a K-series, and rather light at 491kg with windscreen, doors and a full tank seems rather stiff at the default spring rates - on the road. On the track it's OK.

ISTR the rates are 225lb front and 140 rear, but would need to check to be sure.

• Support Team

225 front and 140 rear is what most of the sprinters are using (myself included). If you want a serious alternative to Nitrons then try Ohlins. Have a chat with Simon at 7 Tips who can advise you.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Jason,

With a heavier lump, which the Duratec is I'd probably go for the rates I have, which are the most common.

But it's just a guess. Simon could well be your guru. And there's no doubt that Ohlins are better than Nitrons, but unfortunately more expensive too.

There are a few of us now dropping the front spring rates lower still. And it works. Thats with a K of course.

With a Duratec I'd feel confident in specifying 225lb fronts and 140 rears.

AVO's are worth a go also in my opinion as we have fitted to a couple of cars as a wide body damper.

hi

the 2L duratec is only 6>8Kg heavier . I weighed my complete K series install and then my new duratec engine install on thye same scales, the same day.

there is no handling difference providing you use the shorter bellhousing. In fact this puts the Duratec further back in the chassis than the K series.

my notes after I did the swop are here

spring rates depend on the cars use and tyres in my experience

road work 225 / 150

track with Cr500/888/48R 250 / 170

track with slicks 250 / 200

hillclimb on soft tyres 250 / 150

all dpending on dampers used and antiroll bar preference.

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO