Click here if you are having website access problems ×

by-pass immobilser

kevvickers

I have contacted Caterham regarding a suddern loss of power, and they have suggested disconnecting the immobiliser and see if problem continues. As the car has only cut out once, obviously I would have to disconnect immobilser and see what happens!!

Caterham informed me that the Vecta immobiliser was infact not reliable and have since gone out of business.

What would be a suitable replacement?

or

have any other Caterham owners disconnected the system?

Oh and how do you disconnect / and where is it?

The later Vecta was actually a good product but the original Managusta unit was a bit dodgy! Look for a cylindrical unit nestled beneath the dash somewhere and then disonnect the following (black!) wires:

2 x earths

1 x +12V constant feed

1 x 12V switched ignition feed

leaving you with an even number of paired black's that immobilise up to 3 circuits. Just "cut out" the bridges and you're laughing. If you have an odd number of wires left then you have a "revert to earth" immobiliser circuit that, for example, could be holding the crank sensor down to 0V or something so you need to be a bit wary of these. Generally the "odd" wires can be safely removed and it is obvious once you've paired up the rest.

I have a Vecta manual at my store if you have problems but since the cables are black (except the six coloured ones into the recepticle) it is not so much use once the id tags have been chopped on fitment!

Goodluck

Jue