Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Connecting up mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges

Doug

I'm about to buy mechanical Stack Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges but want to make the connections to the engine as neat as possible but at the same time make the capillary tubes easy to get out of the way when I need to remove the engine. Is there a good and reliable method of enabling this?

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Use cable ties to fix capillary piping and leave a loop with one or two turns approx 50 mm dia in the run near the sensor head , just cut ties and unwind the loop to remove. Worked on my S2 for 30 years and 100.000 miles but have only remove the engine twice in that time

The trick is to support the capillary well including the loop with plenty of ties colour coded ones look nice!!!!

Brian

Lotus 7 S2 and S4

Brian, was that using copper/metal capillary tube or nylon?

I was wondering about this here. Has anyone tried it, even in short sections so that the capillary can be swung out of the way?

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Edited by - Doug on 29 Jul 2010 15:55:34

Doug

Nylon for the oil ( did have a copper one for a year was worried about failer so removed it). The water is probaly copper with a cotton cover has been in use since pre 1980 and no problems( if it failed I would only lose the temp not water!!)

The stainless one look great , they would cope with abraision, high temp etc and look good but still need well supporting

Brian