Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do I know if i've got an LSD fitted?

bryno

Find a tight corner (like a hairpin) with loads of run off/vision. (Cones in a car park, or the Stelvio pass *wink*)

Mid corner second gear give it some beans.

If you sit there what seems like an age without accelerating and the inside wheel spinning up it has an open diff.

If the car accelerates away as soon as you hit the gas you have a LSD (ps a dab of oppo at this point also helps *wink*)

Dicks

Looking at Angus's site, this is how an engineer friend explained how an AP LSD works, even he was a bit puzzled by it: -

If we say the crown wheel is a fixed point then the only way I can see this working is if the dif assembly internals slide one way or the other according to where we want the drive to go. As they do so they travel higher or lower on the funny shaped faces so the radius effectively increases or decreases giving you a differential. This is how rail wheels work on a railway track so a train can go round the corner. the flanges never touch the rail, they are just there to hold it on in crossings.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Bryno,

Find an empty bit of road or carpark. Roll to a stop with full right or left lock on. Give it plenty of revs and drop the clutch to spin the wheels. If it flicks the tail round you've got an LSD...if you drive round in a big circle with the inside wheel spinning...hang your head in shame and go home and tell nobody.

Try it both ways as sometimes the plates in the clutch don't engage and it won't do the job.

Willie

p.s. If it does flick round, keep her at it.