Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightweight flywheel

jackb_ms

I'm having my engine 1.8VVC on roller barrel sprinkle with some of DVA's magic.

I have been told I have a standard cast iron flywheel of a 1.6K engine whith some holes. *confused* *eek*

I cannot make my mind up if I should have a lightweight flywheel fitted.

Is it worth having on a road going car?

Thnaks for your help

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Jack, assuming you have the engine out of the car then I would say yes go for it, it is the best opportunity you will get and for the incremental cost I would say it is a no brainer. The LW Flywheel makes the engine feel much more responsive, you can tell when blipping the throttle that it picks up much quicker. You do get more pronounced engine braking as well when lifting off.

So a big *thumbup* from me.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

I had one on previous Caterham and town driving was a bit more of a pain as the clutch had less of the 'family car' feel the standard item has and more of an instant bite. (it could just have been my old car....) It also rattled in neutral. Hopefully someone will pipe up "TADTS" or "your car was rough, Rich.."

• Area Representative
what is the rattling in neutral caused by?

It's the gears in the gearbox.

With the gearbox in neutral and the clutch engaged, the gearbox input shaft is rotating at engine speed, which is also driving the layshaft, which is driving all of the other gears, but with no gear selected, none of them are driving the output shaft.

The wilder the cams, and the lighter the flywheel/clutch, the more noise there is likely to be.

Yes.

I was told it would make the car less easy to drive (more jerky). It doesnt, at least most of the time, but sure it will excuse poor clutch control less.

I use an Emerald which required the system to be reset for the difference in the flywheel trigger sensor.