Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R500 Crutch

RoyH

Taking my car to Road and Race this coming weekend to get the gearbox rebuilt. Clutch going in at same time (not by Phil).

Am advised that the AP clutch that Caterham used for the R500K is no longer available and an R400 clutch is supplied. Evidently, once on track, they quickly rip their linings so I have been advised to put in a 3 part sintered clutch.

The guy doing the work is very familiar with R500s so I trust his judgement, but I hope it's not going to effect driveability too much.

Has anyone come across this with the R500K recently?

Edited by - RoyH on 26 Jul 2010 13:55:01

Consider changing the clutch release arm.

Norm has a three part cluch plate thinghy I think (he showed me) (if that is what sintered means), a competition clutch. When we went for a gentle blat I was struck by how un road driveable his car appeared to be as compared to mine, an R500K. I mentioned it and he's quite happy with it, but I wouldn't be. It's basically either engaged or not engaged. There's no slipping involved, ever.

Clearly it's a very personal matter, I suppose my point is that the difference is significant to the road driving experience regarding effort and smoothness or lack of.

I hope I have understood what sintered implies otherwise my post is cobblers.

I'm sure someone will be along momentarily.

Anthony

I know 2 owners who tried this with their road-going 7's. The 1st didn't enjoy it at all & found stop start traffic a nightmare: probably lasted a month. The second lasted about 15 miles before changing back!

Nice garage ornaments though! *eek*

However if yours is only used for racing then why not.

However normal track days are much different to racing & a road clutch will suffice.

I've just called CC and they have advised that the clutch part number hasnt been altered since 2001.

The chap who will be fitting it does deal more with the racing end of the market.

I have no intention of racing the car; will do a few track days and that's it.

Looks like the sintered clutch option is a no go.

Will make further enquiries.

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox has now been re-built, clutch is in, leak-down test carried out (all okay), some tappets being re-shimmed, engine mounting replaced, upgraded oil tower being fitted.

I've been told that my car has a lightweight aluminium chassis. Does anyone know how many of the R500s were fitted with this?

It has been built with thinner panels as all the early R500 were. Not sure how many were made, it also had the different rack platform and a few other changes. The later cars went back to a standard chassis.