Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A question for the site manager

Ozzy

Can things be changed?

This has happened to me now, 3 times in the past three months, and I am starting to get pretty pi**ed off with it! I have looked in the for sale section, seen something I've been looking for, and been lucky enough to be the first to note their interest (unfortunately, unlike some people, my access is fairly sporadic, as I'm working away a lot), only then to find out, after sending a mail to the seller, that the item has already been sold, as someone sent a private mail, without registering their interest on the original post *mad*

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're missing the point Bri.

By the time I might have seen it, the item may have been posted a few hours earlier. Fair enough you might think, right place, right time etc. However, if no one has posted interest, you assume that no one else who might be looking for it, has seen it yet, so you're in luck!

Then find out, it's not to be. I find that somewhat annoying, to say the least!

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

This is blatchat.

Frustrating as it might be to a potential buyer that is life.

There is no golden model, each system has it's flaws.

No need for change, just for tolerance and understanding ... and on occassion a little more timeliness notifying something is sold.

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Put yourself in the seller's shoes:

You get an email offer to buy whatever it is you are selling. Do you really reply and demand they post on Blatchat first before you'll slel to them *confused* Of course not...

I agree it would be good manners for people to lock threads when items have been sold *thumbup*

See some pictures of the build here. 18,000 miles completed!

TBH, I don't understand why people BM a seller directly instead of just registering their interest on the bespoke thread !

Too easy ... too transparent ???

Do they have something to hide ???

I sold a lot of thing s in the past ... and my personal experience with people mailing me direct was (mostly) not good at all 😔 .. so, as a result, I now always ask in my thread to first register your interest online and then contact me to arrange payment & delivery / collection. Works perfect for me ... and is very transparent for both seller and buyer *thumbup*

Why couldn't this become the ‘SOP’ for selling / buying stuff ?

And yes ... please update your add and mention when it's sold !!!

Btw, frist dibs Nigel *eek* ... 😬 😬 😬

This is the for sale section after all *tongue*

*smokin*

Flanders AR - Flanders.AR@gmail.com

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Edited by - Slider@7 on 23 Jul 2010 08:07:08

Two different things that pee me off.

Does "I could be interested" class as first refusal because they posted first. *confused*

Someone once said this and I 10 minutes later said "I'll deffo have it".......I was repremanded for it as a first rate queue jumper *smile*

The other thing (unless it's a car) that winds me up is for example "FOR SALE Carbon seats"...you go to the advert and there is an Ebay link *thumbdown*

Finally I'd like to say that when an item has been spoken for anyone who claims "5th dibs" is a twat *cool*

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Edited by - kenny. on 23 Jul 2010 08:17:53

Does "I could be interested" class as first refusal because they posted first.

IMHO : no ...

But where do you draw the line ?

I always ask 'first dibs' ... (of course, only when I 'm seriously interested in the item that's being offered for sale) ... since I sometimes want a bit more info about the condition or exact specs or payment/delivery options etc etc etc ... before committing 100% to buy *thumbup*

What really p*sses me of is that after having registered fist dibs on BC and being in contact with the seller regarding these 'side details' (so being in the stadium of finalizing the deal) ... you suddenly get a mail from the seller saying that the item has been sold to another person *evil* 😔

Luckily this is rather the exception rather then the rule ... but it happened to me on several occasions ☹️

Flanders AR - Flanders.AR@gmail.com

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Does "I could be interested" class as first refusal because they posted first.

Someone once said this and I 10 minutes later said "I'll deffo have it".......I was repremanded for it as a first rate queue jumper

That's happened to me . . .

Where else in the World does saying you might be interested in something qualify as an offer to purchase?

People abuse the dibs system and make dibs for some pathetic reasons like, someone they met on a bus 'might be interested' and they will see them in a couple of weeks to let them know. Gets on my nerves . . . as often as not they will try to negotiate on price after dibbing when a price is given (which is off IMO) or they'll never come back to you. Plus their dibs put off genuine potential buyers who are worried about being branded queue jumpers.

Dibs *thumbdown*

If it's sold though, it makes sense to make it as such.

The other one that gets me, me being the seller this time, is you post "Brand new Toyo 888 185/60/13 still with stickers on it"............someone just has to post back "SEND ME PICS" *mad*

So you have to go rooting for the camera, grab a flash card out of the wii console, turn the house upside down looking for the camera charger then p1ss about doing a David Bailey with the said TOYO........FFS IT'S A TYRE *mad*

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

This has happened to me and I have also been gazumped as well.

I have always felt and discussed with Barry at length, much to his frustration 😬, that:

1) All correspondence should be on the thread until such point as the sale is agreed.

2) No dibs, its a pain is the ass. Either its sold or its not

3) Blatchat members should be given first opportunity to buy an item if the seller is going to post in the for sale section. If say after a week there is no joy, then post on ebay and link back.

4) Links to a photo of the item always helps to confirm the items condition. Yes I know if it's a tyre then its a tyre but one idea of mint is different to another idea. A photo leave no confusion about the condition of an item.

I will now site back and be prepared to get flamed *wavey*

My site

Much as it pains me I have to agree in general with Peters thoughts above 😬.

I've been caught out by a difference of interprestation on what been posted on 'For Sale' threads and think making all dealings on line until the point of discussing payment method should be through the thread.

If you are prepared to take offers via BM then you should state that and that you will detail at what time you recieved the offer to purchase and by whom. Saves all the nonsense of oh sorry sold it an hour ago to Fred Bloggs...

Oh dear, oh dear, why does something so simple as buying or selling cause so much angst?

I'm sure this will upset a few people, and that is not my intention, but although we are nice and cosy here on BC, we do live in the real world and as a seller, I'm only interested in selling the goods and getting the money. When you have something to sell, the first one with the money gets it, all previous inquiries and expressions of interest, do not constitute a purchase until money has changed hands, so the 1st person to do that ends up with the goods and if someone really wants something, then they should make a real effort to get it. It would be good etiquette if the seller could post that the item is sold ASAP of course.

As a buyer, if I really want somehting, I will make every effort to close the deal as soon as possible, that means personal email, phoning, or visiting the seller if possible. If someone else gets there first, then, tough luck. That's the way it works. It would be nice to also post a brief acknowledgment on the thread, but people being what they are, it won't always happen, and the seller may not log onto BC for days so won't always see any postings.

I fail to see the problem, or is it just pique when a buyer loses an item? Get over it, because it will happen all through life, see ...... real world!

Paul J.

I agree with Kenny. To me 'first dibs' means I will have it at the price stated, not that I want to p*ss the seller around, and stop anyone else buying it, until I decide it's not for me, and I post withdrawing the dibs.

There have been a few cases lately where people have withdrawn first dibs, and to me that is not acceptable.

Completely agree with the above. As annoying as it is when you miss out on something you really want, the section is purely an opportunity for members to pass one item on to someone else. The buyers are not 'customers' expecting a service, the rights remain 100% with the seller.

Etiquete is totally different and this should be expected but difficult to enforce. This is the responsibilty of everyone and is behavioural as Barry says.

Make it too difficult to sell anything and people won't advertise things, which would be a shame given the very healthy flow of items we have passing through this board. The alternative is that we all pay a slice to ebay.

Just my 2p.

Agree and the point you make Etiquett is the important thing here.

We ARE a comfy friendly club and therefore should show some common sence and curtesy.

What I am suggesting fits in to what is being said, curtious and common sense.

Until you have been messed about, either as a seller or buyer, its hard to get excited about

-----

My site-----

And another thing *mad* When a tasty goodie comes on if you are not interested in buying it FFS don't post "That's too cheap" for the sake of it..........There's been a few second thoughts price hikes due to this noseyness and has more than once resulted in my opening offer being replied to with "stick your offer up your 🙆🏻" *wink*

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo