Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Non 7 related alarm question

pie_boy69

Can someone that works in vehicle electrics/alarms (Julian) help me please,

I have a audi S2 with a meta system alarm and imobiliser, this is a total closur sytem, the problem is that when the weather is hot and the cabin temp is up the windows will not go down until the vehicle has driven some way (2ish miles) I think it has to wait for something to cool down?

On a cold morning the windows go down striaght away.

Any Ideas.

Please

one hot pie boy 😬 😬

Bloody wierd that.

The Audi uses a vacuum locking system activated by a blue green wire in the drivers kickwell. The alarm effectively cuts this cable and fires a positive down the car side of it to the compressor to lock and a negative to trigger an unlock action. During all other times the wire is effectively rejoined by the alarm so that your keyswitch in the drivers door works.

I am assuming that your S2 has the facility to activate total closure by holding the key closed in the drivers door....

The total close is an Audi feature that the Meta interfaces with. It is normally a brown green also in the kickwell and is a positive command wire. The alarm has to have a timed output to hold the brown green to +ve for as long as it takes to shut the windows and the roof.

My opinion on your fault really is only a guess at this point, since no investigation has been done yet - hopefully the above will be useful to trace the problem. I suspect that the temperature issue will be a red herring, and that what could be happening is that the timer on the meta alarm has been reset due to a processor fault, battery swap, whatever, and now the alarm is pulsing the total close wire on UNLOCK of the car rather than lock. The timer could now be set to say 2 minutes or whatever - hence the windows are trying to go up all the time, and won't respond to your "down" command.

I suggest disconnecting the locking part of the alarm as detailled above, or if this doesn't grab you, try disarming the alarm and leaving the car for 10 minutes unlocked before driving off. This would allow any timers to reset, thus allowing the windows to react immediately. Maybe you do something different on cold mornings that allows time for the unit to lock out?

Sorry to be a bit vague but it is a complex system.

Edited by - Julian Thompson on 30 Aug 2002 09:41:17

Julian many thanks for your input I was kinda hopping that you would say"this is a comon fault with this alarm and you just need to reset" But alas with all things German they are more complicated than they have to be,

I may try to trace but if I can't be bothered then I will just have to remember not to light up a smoke until the windows are working.

One other point is I don't think I do anyhting different on cold mornings Just one press to open and get in and start before it resets itself, same as when hot.

Once again thanks for your help.

Ps We are still waiting to get the rally car finished (still has a huge dent on th e rear from a contact with a 45 gallon drum filled with concrete) when thiss is repaired then you will get your photos with your sticker on the car and it will then be seen on some events before the end of the year.

Cheers Keith *thumbup*