Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Garage question

C7

Just wondering what is the minimum height a garage needs to be allow you to fit the engine/gearbox, with the help of an engine hoist? I'll have to use a hoist (no beams), and I only have limited height. (Rolling the the chassis onto the driveway for the job is not an option either.) Is this enough, and are there any tricks to the job?

Any ideas from you self-builders?

JimBean

Edited by - JimBean on 30 Aug 2002 07:10:28

Edited by - JimBean on 30 Aug 2002 07:10:59

I agree with Oliver. Unless you are Hobbit, you shouldn't need more than head height. I Probably have a photograph at home of my engine going in. Will try to dig it out tonight and e-mail it to you. Could depend on the type of hoist. Rented mine from HSS Tool Hire. *wink*

I also only had very limited height but only at one point, The doorway to the garage was only just 6 foot. The chassis was on axle stands set at their lowest level.

I assembled the gearbox-bellhousing-engine outside of the garage, got it on the hoist and then wheeled the whole thing in at low height with someone holding up the gearbox end. As the hoist moved into the garage it had to be progressively raised to clear the front of the chassis but seemed to work fine.