Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Fumes

kim

Whenever I take the XF 1600 Classic SE out for a spin (top down) these days I get a strong almost continuous smell of exhaust fumes. I have no real idea where they are coming from but it can get quite unpleasant. Possibilities could be:

- Vortex turbulence at the rear (rear exit exhaust) bringing in the exhaust gases?

- possibly a small leak at the 4 into 2 exhaust union in the engine bay?

- leaking exhaust manifold?

I have no idea. Has anybody else experienced such fumes and perhaps suggest suitable causes and remedies. Many thanks.

Kim

Have had similar issues with my old Sprint. Turbulence pulling exaust gas into the car. It could also be from the crank case vent, as these engines can breath rather heavily when worn.

If it is pulling exaust in over the back the solution is a side exit system.

Cheers!

No officer, the wheel is on the RIGHT side. *wink*

Red Super Sprint De Dion Soon!

Thanks. I have heard that high temp silicon (for securing flues etc) would make a good exhaust sealant but I am unable to find anybody who seals the stuff. Any clues? Halfords sell clear stuff good for 250Deg C but I'm not sure this temp is high enough.

I would doubt that it is a 'vortex' issue, otherwise it would always have done it - so that leaves a leak somewhere. Are you sure it is 'exhaust' fumes and not oil fumes as these can come from the filler cap and through the bulk head at various points (steering column, heater, handbrake cable, etc).

I only notice fumes in mine when I have the hood on and assume that it is just a little oil vapour.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Kim , It maybe worth checking the oil level, my XF has shown this condition but i have only ever had it if the oil level was a bit high (as in trying to stop the surge on tight bends, too high *wink*) But as the guys have said they do like to breath a bit and this is also worse if the level is high..

As for the vortex theory, i changed from a rear exit to a compertition side exit , but can,t say i ever had gases come in to the cockpit with each configuration, But you did say it was with the top down so im stumped

*confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*Mark

Edited by - Marc Hicks on 30 Aug 2002 09:50:49

Hi,

got a 1700+ X-flow with 4-1 side exit exhaust.

I have similar effects and think the problem is:

- fumes form exhaust pumped in by turbulence (also with side exit)

- leaking 4-1 combiner

- fumes from oil catch tank

- fumes from the truck besides you

- general environment pollution

I looked into all the issues and decided to accept the fact that I stink after 5 mins. I havent driven any other convertible for a while, but I think that you will stink in every car which is not closed roof with a micro filter in the airconditon.

Klaus

1700+

Combustion is not a secret

Can't say riding in the old MGB was very smelly with the top up or down, but the TR3 gave off a terrible stench, even after an engine rebuild. I think the vortex theory is under rated IMHO.

I will be switching to side exaust on the new Super Sprint just to find out.

If the joints are not sealing try muffler paste. Should be easy to locate, in the same section as gaffer tape and bailing wire at Halfrauds.

Cheers

Kim,

Had the same problem with my 1600 Classic SE and have spent a lot of time sorting it out. Steps I have taken:

1. Sealed the Catch tank and routed the breath fumes under the car. - This had a small effect.

2. Remove Spare wheel and carrier - Made things a lot worse!

3. Fitted Side exit exhaust - WOW! Very little smell.

4. Fitted Brooklands Aeroscreens (IMHO a must!) and no smell at all - Well not related but a good solution!

What I have found is that it is the Rear Exit exhaust that was causing the issue. Definately the Vortex affect! It was so bad before that my wife would get a headache when sitting in the passengers seat (no rude comments please!).

Skip.

X-flow and proud - Can you fit Sat Nav in a Seven?