Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hazard lights switch

jeffi

Has anyone else building a recent kit had any on-going issues with poor quality hazard switches? I suspect there's a bad batch going around.

I'm on my 4th before I have even been through IVA and I don't exactly sit there wearing them out! When flicked on, it's rare they make a good contact. Usually the relay buzzes like mad and the lights don't operate. If you finesse the switch, you may be lucky to get a good contact. Could be a bit of a joke at IVA. The fuse has blown once when I left the relay buzzing and try tapping the switch. it's definitely the switch and not the loom or relay - I tried an alternative to prove this but it wasn't the same size so couldn't fit it permanently.

I've done an autopsy and the contacts are shockingly tarnished and the sprint too weak to keep a good contact. I have tried a replacement form CBS and it was the same - only a 50:50 success rate on switching on the hazards! So CBS and CC probably source them from the same low quality manufacturer.

I know this is a rarely used switch but when you need to use it you'd expect 100% reliability. Also, a relay that buzzes like hell is not not going to be any good.

Has anyone fitted a solid state alternative?

Dont think its a new problem, mine does it and its 3+ year old CSR, if you dont press the switch firmly it seems to stop just shy of firm contact and relay buzzes, if pressed a little more firmly it overcomes resistance (physical not electrical) and snaps home firmly, once I discovered this, if needed, I just remember to press firmly through initial resistance and its fine, not ideal but ok, sometime I will find a better switch if I can be 🙆🏻'd 😬

Tim

CSR 200 Aztec and Black