Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

x-flow alternator

p williams

I have a problem with the charge light coming on when the revs get higher. At approx 40-50 no problem, at 80 its glowing quite nicely, Why?

The alternator is approx 12-18 months old and is a halfords rec one, the battery is only 18 months old ish. Can any one suggest a small light unit to replace the knackered item on a 3 wire basis and thats not going to cost the earth. Thanks.

My vote would be to pay full whack to Caterham for a reliable one. There have been plenty of reports on here from people with failed alternators who got them from somewhere else. I had the same problem until I finally got an expensive one from caterham which has now lasted me at least 8 years and maybe ten.

Anthony

I had a similar problem and thought it was cured when I fitted a new alternator. A few months later it was back *confused*. On the third alternator I finally figured out that the problem was with the socket on the wiring loom, which had got too hot and corroded. If this happens, the extra resistance causes the alternator generates too much voltage internally. The charge light shows the difference between the internal voltage and the battery voltage, and lights up *idea*. This is a bit like electrical VD, because the resistance heats up the socket and the problem spreads to a new alternator. The moral of this story is "check the wiring". Alternators in sevens have a tough time because they are next to a nice hot exhaust, so a heat shield is a good idea.

98,000 miles so far

My Caterham supplied alternator will be sent back tomorrow after 10 months (of which 3 were off the road) and about 2000 miles after it left me stranded in Hampshire with a flat battery - I hadn't noticed the red light or else it didn't come on!!!

Out of interest, which socket are you refering to, mine uses three separate spade connectors! I ask because, even the new alternator was only producing 13V at the battery terminals - I would have expected an extra 0.5V (unless my meter is naff - well it is a 15 year old Gunson one!).

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Mine did the same thing (warning light on at higher revs) Problem was partly melted and eventually arcing wiring loom connector (the one that actually clips into the alternator and houses the spade connectors). Cost 2.50 from Lucas. Fixed problem completely - alternator still ok even though I ran for some time like this as I initially thought it was an earthing problem.

Yeh buy a Caterham Alt, because they won't be over priced and I bet they arn't recon ones 😬

Or buy a Lucas one for a third of the price and if it goes wrong, change it under its warranty.

I've found they usually fail quickly ie within a Month or last for years.