Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Reducing underbonnet temps on duratec

tiddy1

My 2 litre duratec generates lots of heat and I was considering adding a large vent in the nose cone, a la R500 but was not planning on adding the radiator cowel or the rubber sheet to block off the airflow through the engine bay. any thoughts on how effective this may be.

I was wondering if air wil flow in through the vent or just be forced out that way and may even increase the engine bay heat by reducing the flow over the exhaust.

I have an old battered nose cone so it is probably worth giving it a go

Has anyone tried sealing off the transmission tunnel to reduce the heat flow through there?

any other ideas to reduce the temp? I already have the exhaust wrapped and the bulkhead , footwell and transmission tunnel insulated

Simon

Simon

I'm no expert, but insulating the bulkhead, footwells and tunnel would probably keep heat in the engine bay - if you wanted to reduce the underbonnet temperature you could toast yourself by removing the insulation, or find a way of extracting the hot air - either by extra cooling ducts or perhaps, as I've heard done before on here, bend the trailing edge of the bonnet up so there is a gap by the windscreen.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

I've recently gone down the Duratec route and was expecting all sorts of heat issues however it would appear that I don't suffer these ailments, tis no hotter now than when he K was there, the heater works mush better though 😬

I put this down to using Ammo's ,thro the bonnet exhaust and the short lengths of primary that are under the bonnet are wrapped - Simples *wink*

I have no other heat lagging on the tunnel or elsewhere at all, no ducted nose, gaps in bonnets, or extra louvres etc etc

Too young to be old !

Simon I have a 2L Duratec in a S3, I do not have any water or oil temp issues at all. In fact last Saturday I raced in 33c ambient with water temp of 90c and oil 95c. I have quite a bit of power as well, which generates more heat than a standard lump.

I have got a bespoke duct behind the rad/steering rack, venting all heated discharge air from the radiator to atmosphere through the rear of the nose cone. Not also does this keep engine bay temperatures and pressures low, it reduces front end lift. However, my current instalation reduces airflow through engine bay so much, that tunnel and gearbox temps tend to be quite high. I intend to branch in some fresh air and supply through inlet side to speed up airflow thus reduce these temps.

If you want more technical info or help, email me it is not a problem.

cheers

Ian

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Can I ask how much difference the insulation made to the cabin temps? I nearly died (OK, not exactly) going down to Classic Le Mans. I was going to get some insulation on the bulkhead and transmission tunnel but people pointed out that maybe the under bonnet temps would rise ...

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

The duratec engine has no issues with water or oil temps, it does warm up extremely quickly and get noticeably hotter in traffic up to about 95, and usually needs the fan running once I have stopped, I fitted an oil cooler and am not really sure why I bothered as I have never seen anything above 90 deg where as the K would often get hotter especially on the track. what I was really hoping to do was cool the engine bay so that the cockpit is not so hot. The insulation helped a lot as I have no carpet so the transmission tunnel use to get too hot to touch. sealing all the holes in the bulkhead also helped as I had quite a large hole where the brake bias valve cones through.

as I said I was just wondering about the nose cone vent to see who had experiance of them, with or without ducting

Simon

Sealing off the transmission tunnel would make the engine bay pressure rise, thus temperature would rise. Thats not a good idea.

What do you want the vent in the nose cone to do? Let air in or out?

If you want it to let air out, it will as long as you install a naca duct type deflector plate upwards in front of the vent hole.

I have considered venting the top of the tunnel cover, but as I said branch ducting fresh air into the area is probably the best solution

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

tiddy1, thanks for the comments that the insulation worked. I also have no carpet.

The electric fan on mine kept me at 80 degrees in the worst of the Le Mans heat and traffic and then turned off when I got moving whilst temps went down to about 75. I have an oil cooler/dry sump.

I do wonder what effect all this has on performance though as the air filter is sitting in all that underbonnet heat ...

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

I also nearly died in the heat of my R500 on the way down to the Ring on Saturday. Water temp reached 108deg.

ON the way home I kept a wet towel on the side of the transmission tunnel and sometimes around my legs, which I dosed with cold water from time to time.......of course the two thunderstorms helped.

I'm going to rig up one of those misty mate coolers they sell in the USA if I take it on any more long drives in that heat.

DD

Nose cone vent a la R500, transmission tunnel & peddle box lined with insulation and primaries lagged works for me in temps up to 38C. The insulation that I use on the tunnel and peddle boxis available from Wicks its the shiny foil faced bubble wrap stuff that you use behind radiators £10 for 10M. In cool weather I remove it as I have no heater.

Rob

Yes Rob mine is just like yours with the exception of the nose cone vent and I was just trying to judge how effective vent was, I might just do it anyway as its an old battered nose and everyone will then think the car is a R500...

Simon

I suffered hot feet during my trip away this year, air temp 30 - 35 not much fun. I have a heater for colder days so I am going to try to insulate the pedal box. I was looking at some heat insulating material used for motorcycle exhausts. The sort of thing you would find under the seat or on the back of motocycle plastics. It is self adhesive. The problem is it comes in small sheets and costs quite a bit, but if it works 😬

Longy