Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ford Duratec.

Alex Wong1697456877

No Anotella,

The 1/4 mile stuff is kind of hard to misrepresent. The results on the 1/4 mile strip, especially same venue/same day stuff such as this, are the performance gospel.

Emma, the post implies I was running with a +2.0sec h/c. i.e with only 40bhp more I actually did a time 2.13 secs quicker. There's lots of history when Norman's involved. But he wishes to keep it that way.

EFA - Ex Fat Arnie

4 Counties AO and owner of K2RUM The car of two halves which is very nearly back on the road.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnie

Sod off. This is a post about Duratecs and the mental state of the engine buying public. Don't you dare bring something as trivial s bloody drag racing into it! 😬

Don't know what you are talking about anyway as I have never been to a drag race and real motorsport has bends in it (or dynos).

Brent

I've posted this before. Here we go again:

“It is unwise to pay too much… but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money…that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better”.

John Ruskin

Then there is the modern-day condensed version courtesy of a friend, Carlos Paul, who hails from “The House of the Mouse” (Orlando, Florida).

“You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken s**t”.

AMMO

When I go back to Blighty with work in September I am interested in having Wile toyed with. It has the crossflow currently. I've also had a K series before. Arnie got me thinking when he posted a comment about that nice white hpc with clams some months ago. Now I see that offer about the Duratec in LF.....

But I also want to see lakeys Toyota powered unit and I fancy a Jap option - Honda or Nissan or indeed the boxer from Subaru....could it be done? Who knows, but there are many possibilities I think. The bike engined options are too wild for a wimp like me *wink*

Will continue to research........otherwise Duratec it is I think (cheaper than xflow rebuild to get similar reliable power).

I only want a fast road car, not a track day special... *thumbup*

Graham

Stock head is around 130 cfm. Modified from 140 to 158 cfm depending on power requirement. Big valve heads up to 175 cfm. All testing is done at 25" on a Superflow 600 and converted to 10" which is what most people quote. 175 cfm at 25" is 276.5 cfm. Maybe I should quote the higher figures. It sounds more impressive 😬

Chris

Fitted the head to your engine and shimmed the cams this morning. Just need to do the cam timing on Monday and close it up so I can get cracking on Danny's. Still trying to convince Dave Walker to finish his Superflow 901 engine brake so we don't have to install the engine in a car to map it. Looking forward to seeing what it makes. I have a feeling it will be very nice indeed. 😬

AMMO

slipped my 2L duratec into the engine bay this morning *biggrin* it sits well back in the chassis with the short titan bellhousing *thumbup*. Gotta load him up on the trailer tomorrow to go and get the loom made *cool* ,then we can "dress" the engine *smile*

Wiley - I think the offer in LF is for the zetec conversion not the duratec.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

...anyone got a stock 2.3l going spare, after reading this thread it's definitely time to start collecting the bits I need for a serious upgrade *wink*

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Edited by - MikeE on 20 Jan 2007 18:07:11

Interesting thread

Most of the power figures seem to come from the 2.3 Duratec, has anyone every done a full on 2.0l engine? Apparently it has a shorter stroke so it should be a revvy engine rather than producing large amounts of mid range torque.

I run a 2.0l BDG on carbs and I was wondering what a direct comparison would be.

Can't wait to see Dave J at the sprints to see what he makes of the Duratec compared to his big K.

Simon

I'm also going for around 250/260 bhp with my next 2 litre. Need to drive it to the shops, go on my hols etc. so not going too crazy. Thanks for telling Rob he needs an upgrade 😬 Just a little tweak here and there Rob.

MikeE

2.3s are getting a bit thin on the ground. None in stock at the moment but I'm sure I can dig one out for you if you are interested.

Graham

They are bloody good figures. What do you think I've been going on about for the last five years! I have not seen a better production cylinder head. End of story. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but good enough. Can be improved a lot from stock.

Chris

Cams timed in today. 😬

Tony

Whatever you can get out of a 2.3, you can more or less get out of a 2 litre. Rpm and torque change. On the whole the 2.3 is a bit easier but it cannot rev as much. I too am waiting to see what Dave Jackson gets up to. The man can definitely pedal a car from what I've heard. It probably wouldn't matter what he drove but it's nice to think he made a sensible decision regarding engines. 😬

AMMO

Ammo

250-260 is a nice levele for getting 500bhp per tonne........I`m hoping to get around 260 from the engine so that I don`t have to buy quite so much carbon.......I reckon I need to loose about 20kg`s aith 260bhp to achieve the 500 figure with a full tank of fuel.

I should take possession of the head I`ve bought this week at some point.......It`s fitted with Piper 300 cams......which sound a bit aggressive but when you look at the spec they aren`t as bad as I first thought, still not convinced so may swap them for 285`s...........then again I might just go for it and see what they are like 😬

I`m going to need rods and pistons for this one, probably the uprated fuel pump, bigger injectors........and I need to sort out the exhaust as well.

How far can I go with the Raceline 45mm DTHTB`s......will they be OK to 260bhp?

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Ammo

Chris, Cams timed in today

Jeez, I thought I was the only one to take a whole day to degree in Cams *tongue*

Simon, I had lots of interesting conversations at the Autosport show about upgrading my 45mm Jenvey's to something more vacuous. The perceived wisdom was, don't bother, they are good for about 260-270bhp and I was unlikely t see more than a few bhp improvement with the more exotic choices.

In fact one chap whose opinion I value reckoned he was going back to normal TB's after his ventures with roller barrels.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Neil

You know, get up at 10. Shower, shave, black coffee that I have exclusively imported from my contacts in Colombia. Personal trainer comes around to discuss new diet and training regime. Have another coffee, shoot the breeze for a couple of hours. Lunch with friends, something informal, had a chef come around so we could eat at home. Friends leave. Have a nap. Wake up, shower change into my work clothes (ugh!). Nip into work for ten minutes. Time in cams, go home.

Waiting for limo to come and pick me up for all night partying with a couple of supermodel friends.

Tomorrow I might put the cam cover on if I can face the awful working conditions.

AMMO

Thanks for info re throttle bodies, I was hoping someone would say that the 45mm versions would be fine to 260. I don`t like the roller barrels so if I had needed to change it would have been for a larger version of the ones I have now.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here