Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car up for auction by receivers

Mark Widdup

Well I went along to the auction - as I think did quite a few seveners considering the amount of interest around it - and the car was a lot scruffier than it looks in the pics, it had been in storage for years apparently, but seemingly somewhere damp as the underside of the chassis and things like the wingstays were quite rusty.

The paint needs work and I'm guessing it has been long-fronted in the past as the joins are bubbling up both sides. Wheels were a bit odd as well - old Performance alloys in grey centres/silver rims. On the plus side it ran (which is good) and looked straight enough, and is definitely what it says on the tin - a 1.4K SS.

A bargain for someone then? Well if you consider £9211.13 in total (£8700 plus fees) a bargain, then yes *eek*. The general consensus in the room was that it was an expensive project for someone...

It wasn't a completely wasted morning as I did buy some cheap cordless phones, a couple of guitars and nearly bought a couple of tellys and a dining table 😬. Quite an entertaining place all things considered.

• Leadership Team
Wheels were a bit odd as well - old Performance alloys in grey centres/silver rims
These were the standard Caterham-issue wheel for this model. It was a LE run of 30 cars, post '96 chassis with 1400SS engines and the addition of some CF *thumbup*

Stu.