Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon Fibre wing suppliers?

J Stewart

Due to a small off at the 'Ring, i now have a scrape and small crack in one of my carbon wings *eek*

The car came with the wings when i bought it but they aren't the Caterham ones. Someone has suggested they are Japanese *confused*

Does anyone know where i should start looking for a matching replacement??

Jon

I've got 2 Caterham ones on my SLR that I'm looking to sell. They are painted but are in perfect condition. I'd like to sell them for less that Caterham would supply TWO wings for so that I can fund some more expensive ones in the For Sale section.

Email me if interested.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Count

It's a rear wing on a '91 Vauxhall which came with carbon wings, plug & belt covers (?) among other bits. I've had the car over a year and bought from a chap in Welwyn Garden City (through a 3rd party). It's got an all steel Roger King built engine, is in Anniversary colours and i think once had the reg 7 DUO. Apart from that it's all a bit vague

Is that any help?

The wings are rather good quality, hence the need for the same again.

Jon

Edited by - Jon S on 29 Aug 2002 14:10:19

Isn't 7 DUO one of Caterham's own numbers? If so then that would suggest it used to be a demonstrator. If so then it's most unlikely the wings came from anywhere except Dartford.

They have used a number of different suppilers for carbon bits over the years so you may have just been lucky with the ones you have fitted. I bought a rear wing from Dartford a month ago following a cone incident and quility is quite good as far as I am concerned. I have seen some fairly average quality wings on factory built cars in the past.

As said "7 DUO" is a Caterham Cars owned number. Sounds like it was an ex press/demonstrator car, as such it's going to have standard wings.

Having said that, the latest cf rear wings are a change from older designs and sourced from a different supplier. Caterham cf is not as good as other cf I've seen (and have on my car). If I was in your position, I'd put myself down for a set of two cf rear wings from our Fat Arnie and part fund the exercise selling your existing wings - even the broken one will sell.

That'll give you two spanking new ones that look great.

The Japanese wing theory sounds like a Led Helling to me 😬

Thanks for the replies.

I think the last owner had them fitted but i'm still digging.

The wings are unpainted so i was hoping for a matching set.

Maybe i should put a sticker on it with "I lost it at Flugplatz and all i got was this"

*cool*

I was surfing earlier and found a Jap website with some carbon:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~fr7h-hmgk/HP_1/JPE/nikki_2002_1.htm

which looks like it was made by this outfit

http://www.r-d.co.jp/english/products/products.htm

The front wings from what i can see look very similar *confused*