Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brooklands: "Behind the Wipers" vs "Over the Wipers"

peterpi

I'm about to order a pair of brooklands screens. On the Caterham website it gives you two options; "behind the wipers" and "over the wipers".

I've seen what I assume is the "behind the wipers" option on other people's cars, such as this picture of Angus' here. Presumably it fits exactly where the old windscreen was.

Does anybody have any information (or even better, a photo) of the "over the wipers" version? I need to be able to put the standard windscreen back on in the winter, the less faff the better.

• Area Representative

Over the wipers just means you have to undo the wiper spindles and drop the wiper boxes down below the scuttle. The wiper mech can stay in place under scuttle. You also need to remove the washer jet. On the upside if you go with the aero all the time, it looks much neater with no spindles in the way. Just IMHO

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

I've recently fitted the over the wipers type (temporarily as a trial), and tonight have just removed it - and it's easy to do. As Nick says - drop the wiper spindles through + washer jet. Tape over them to prevent water ingress.

The whole band is firmly fixed with just the 4 screen bolts into the scuttle. (If these 4 bolts are all that it takes to keep a full screen in place, then they're plenty enough to hold the aero screens + band in place).

Including removing/refitting the Battery master switch and re-coupling / de-coupling the screen heater element I reckon that swapping from one version to the other takes less than 30 minutes.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As promised; some photos of the installation.

The most time consuming part was figuring out that I could remove the dashboard panel (picture #7) to undo the bolt holding the old windscreen in place.

After searching blatchat, I went with the option of putting countersunk bolts up from the underside of the stanchion. This was easier than I expected.

Rear view mirror is this one

Edited by - peterpi on 6 Aug 2010 22:20:57