Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Roll cage

Martin S.

OK Ian I'm convinced! (and Rob last year.....the list goes on when you think back)

If/when I come back to play again next year it will be with a full cage, so some questions:

1. What type do I need for a 94 di-dion chassis or are they all the same?

2. Not that it really matters but it would be handy, can I still fit my full screen with one and will my SBFS half hood still fit.....I assume not.

3. Again not a consideration but curious, as it will stiffen up the chassis will I feel any practical handling benifit?

Part time Class 4 Zetec *biggrin*

1. Don't know - but Caged will fit it whilst your there if you want a new one. (Clive is having his fitted Monday next week.

2. Hood?????????? Whats that 😬 I think you can fit the screen (Just)

3. I have to say that I felt no difference but my dampers are rather different *thumbup*

A Blast from the Past

www.7tips.co.uk - for all 7 related parts and upgrades.

remember if you go direct to cage - make sure you ask them to add on the extra mounting bits for mirrors etc, this makes it a neat solution *thumbup* wasn't an option when I bought mine ☹️

Also pay to get caged to fit it, real PITA when I did mine *thumbup*

Screen - well it all depends on which one you get, but chances are you cannot fit doors I don't think... as for a hood *confused*

chassis stiffness - well it did stiffen the car up but at the time I didn't notice much difference to the handling, but was on the old billies at the time

Rob

One thing to consider when getting a new cage made.... do you want it to be the standard Caterham height at the rear of the roll cage, or made a bit higher at the back?

If you fit in a 'normal height' cage with loads of room and (the important bit) with at least 5cm clearance when sat in the car, between the top of your race helmet and the top of the roll cage (MSA rules) then *thumbup*

If not... and many taller people seem to struggle meeting the basic MSA regs in a caterham... it's a good opportunity to get a slightly taller cage made.

The normal CC roadsport cage was made IMHO more with a view to getting a standard hood to fit over, than actually meeting with the MSA regs...

I recently changed my standard Roadsport cage (which I was never happy with in terms of clearance height) to a new Cage from caged, where they made it with an extra 5cm height at the back at no extra charge.

Edited to add - I have a roll cage on my car, as much for protection on the road, as the track.

Edited by - skydragon on 7 Jul 2010 09:27:29

Martin - i have a current metric roadsport cage fitted to an Arch chassis

Cage supplied the spacers required for a hand full of change, needs a bit of muscle and ratchet straps but it fits

You can use your screen and half hood without any modifications

Really stopped the car from twisting in long fast sweepers

If you need anymore info give me a shout

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl @ Penn 7's *thumbup* Caution - May Contain Nuts !

Martin,

I had a roadsport cage fitted for the last few years because of the obvious safety reasons, got it from CC very easy to fit, windscreen and full hood and doors still fit on for touring ( Im sure the SBFS one will to).

I have just swapped to a full superlight cage with mirror mounts because of (A)the looks (B) the easier access and exit from the seven, and © mainly and most importantly (this is only my opinion) the risk of injury whilst driving on the road without a helmet for both driver and passenger with a narrower roadsport cage even with rollcage padding.

Downside of SL cage;

windscreen wont fit

no hood *tongue*

Std doors and Std CC half doors dont fit

Which ever one you choose it will be a good decision *thumbup*

Jeff

Martin

I had caged fit a full SL cage to my car over the winter. I was thinking about it during the year and after my "off" at Wiscombe it was the first thing I did. Not the best feeling in the world, approaching trees, head on with no frontal protection!

You can fit a windscreen but you have to remove and then refit the cage to do it. Alternatively, you could modify the windscreen stanchions and fit an appropriate boss behind the scuttle if you wanted "quick fit".

I Didn't even look at the roadsport cage given the extra protection offered by the SL cage. Only thing to add is that I recieved outstanding service from Caged and cost wise, well, it's a damn sight cheaper than a day or three off work should you hit a tree or fence post head on. I was lucky at Wiscombe with only a couple of branches coming past the scuttle!

Stuart

Martin,

Totally endorse everything said above - we decided over the winter that we are now 'trying' so hard there was no option but a full cage. We have the SL cage and it is superb - gives loads of protection and stiffens the car a treat. Having raced with it for half a season and had a reasaonably bad accident - I think it is a 'no brainer' *wink*

Again having it fitted by 'Caged' is far better (and cheaper) than using CC - they are so helpful and can sort all the issues like no captive nuts being in place in the chassis *eek* *eek*

Regards a windscreen - we no longer run with a windscreen 😳

Good luck and hopefully see you soon.... *wavey*

C *wavey*

If only everything in life was as simple as a 7!!

Edited by - Chris101 on 8 Jul 2010 08:34:33

Thanks for all the replies *thumbup*

Being a cheapskate I'll be looking out for a used cage to fit myself over the winter (I like a challenge!) I'm gathering then that I can fit a metric cage to my imperial chassis with a fitting kit. Can someone confirm?

Hijack...

Following on from Jeffs comment

"© mainly and most importantly (this is only my opinion) the risk of injury whilst driving on the road without a helmet for both driver and passenger with a narrower roadsport cage even with rollcage padding."

and the recent LF article which suggested you need a helmet on the road if you have a cage... does this apply to the SL cage as well?

I guess its down to personal preference, but do people with SL cages generally drive on the road OK without a helmet?

I'm trying to keep my car as a weekend road car - and just use a helmet on motorways/long distances. Not bothered about weather gear/windscreen.

Thanks

AB

I've done 000's of miles on the road with an SLR cage and never had a problem, even when I had crash with a Citroen Saxo who was on the wrong side of the road in 2008 my head didn't hit the roll bar.

In general I only wear a helmet when it's raining and even then only in heavy rain.

Cheers

Rob G