Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sprint & Hillclimb Training for Novices

Mike Guest

Having now completed my first sprint, I have realised that there is more to this than pressing the right and middle pedals in succession whilst steering in roughly the right direction. Some coaching in this art is required.

I will do some research as to where this can be obtained but wonder if any other novices are interested and/or whether any of the more experienced sprinters wish to lend a hand at teaching the class of 2010.

Best regards,

Mike.

Depending where you are based try

Midland Auto Club - Shelsey Walsh & Curborough

Harewood Hill Climb School

Prescott hill Climb School

I've done Curborough myself, but nothing beat's experience.

use the buddy system and get some experience under your belt, then once your more comfortable with car and event's then you will get the best out of the schools.

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. .CaterBram on Facebook

Mike,

I note from my tally sheet that you have only competed at Castle Comb, a very quick circuit. typically most novices this year are averaging scores of between low 80's and mid 90's. Castle Comb scores havn't come out yet so I don't know how you fared.

Did Graham Vingoe manage to sort you a buddie for Castle Comb ? i've found the buddie system a great help.

It also looks like your in Class 2 like me so hope to see you on some more event's. My next one is Curborough at the end of August.

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. .CaterBram on Facebook

Mike

Not sure where you are based but renting Curborough for the day midweek is quite cheap and i'm sure a few of the local sprinters would give advice in return for a few free test runs.

Otherwise, if you are doing the championship, ask to join the track walk, ask for advice etc. Most experienced sprinters will happily offer advice to you but don't want to risk insulting you by offering it unbidden.

That's how I learnt (actually, looking at recent performances maybe that's not the best way 😬)

As a bit of info which may be of interest.

This year there are 20 novices competing in the championship.

Number of Events - Competing Novices

6 Events - 2 Novices

5 Events - 0 Novices

4 Events - 2 Novices

3 Events - 4 Novices

2 Events - 3 Novices

1 Event - 4 Novices

0 Events - 5 Novices

I've got to say my first event was eventfull at Goodwood this year, but nearly put me off for good, a very fast circuit, a blown engine, and a big disappointment,

But only a couple of weekends later I really got the but a double header at Llandow & Lyl-ys-fran, I'm not the quickest, but having fun, enjoying it and hopefully getting quicker.

• Area Representative

Mike,

As Neil says, Curborough is available for mid week testing. I think the current rate is £525 for a day, where you are able to have 10 cars (so £52.50 each).

If you were to get together with a few fellow seveners, you could share the day.

If you could find a date that fits in with my calendar (I have regular days off work during the week) thae I'd be happy to assist.

It's useful to "walk and talk" the course, and then drive the course, then talk about it again before driving again.

I drove on one of these days (7 years ago), where I had a little coaching, and chatted with more experienced drivers, and shaved over three seconds off my previous best time!

I can vouch for the Harewood school. Two weeks after doing the day, I set a new class 2 record. *smile*

I can also recommend using a video camera in the car. I've only been using one for a couple of years, but whish I'd been using one a lot longer. It makes learning a new course, and analysing your driving a lot easier (it helps you remember what happend!).

I hope thats some help.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to call or email.

Details here

Mike,

I started as a total novice - I found that reading track guides helped, watching other peoples videos, and second to none was some track day one to one tuition about lines and breaking points (there will be someone local to you who does this). Never miss the opportunity to do a track day before an event and always go out in the passenger seat with some of the other guys in your class. Lastly, remember that some of these chaps have a lot of experience and take your time, you will not get there in year one. In my third season I am now bettering the times my dual drive partner did in year one - pick yourself a marker and try to beat it. It's all about experience and practice, but it's great fun getting there.

Think you could be right Malcolm *thumbup*. The way Andrew and Al have been pedalling so far this year is superb. For the rest of us it's a for battle for third in class (I need to get Loton and Aintree applications in, else Anglesey it is).

A timing gear failure at Harewood last year lost what was probably Andrew's and my best runs of the day but 2008's times (from Jon W and yourself) are mighty. *smokin*

Mike, listen to Obi Wan Price *tongue*

There is no substitute for time in the saddle as you'll build that understanding of how your car really goes, stops (the most important IMHO) and turns.

EN Yorks 7's Flickr

It does take (most people) at least 2 or 3 seasons to get times even close

to the leaders, and the last 2 or 3% is another story. There is no substitute for practice/venue experience.

I've found that walking the course and/or sneaky track day practice helps, but the timed ~60 seconds is always quite different. Sometimes better to walk the course

alone - I suffered from information overload talking to experienced sprinters and

trying to copy them (and ended up parking on the grass). I'm only now starting to understand the capability of the car in terms of braking, turn in and perception

of speed (and got that wrong at Combe!). Some people are natural driving gods - the rest of us have to learn it and build up the skill.

Anyway - thats all very serious - beating personal targets and the banter makes it fun.

AB

My previous Post of 14 July may not have said what I intended to say! What I meant to say was, that if anyone is contemplating organising a tuition type of day at one of the various venues mentioned; please count me in. I hope this now makes more sense!

Regards

Mike

(Long Term Novice)