Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cut out on VX

kevvickers

As I have not been working this week, have taken the Caterham (2.0 VX) out for quite a few runs. Today whilst burning around Lincolnshire the car cut out. Started again and ran without nay problems, although I did re-fuel. Have any other Caterham owners experienced such a problem, and what do you think could have caused the fault?

Faulty fuel pump?

Faulty fuel guage?

Let me know. *confused*

Had a similar problem a year or so back......turned out to be the Vecta immobiliser playing up......took a while to pin it down as you say after cutting out it started OK...then it became more of a problem resulting in being brought home on a breakdown trailer on a couple of occassions. Eventually it gave up completely and then I was able to locate it to the immobiliser. Changed it for a TOAD and all has been well since.

Could be worth a look although it could be a thousand and one other things.....good luck.

K8 GRS VX

My car did this twice on a trackday at Brands two years ago. The Vecta immobiliser was being triggered by a loose battery terminal and once reset the car was fine until contact was broken again. This was highly embarrasing as the loose terminal was not noticed by me or several other curious 7 drivers at the circuit. I trailered the car to Caterham where the problem was spotted as soon as the bonnet was lifted!! I hope your problem is as easy to fix.

Paul

L7 FUN

My car did this twice on a trackday at Brands two years ago. The Vecta immobiliser was being triggered by a loose battery terminal and once reset the car was fine until contact was broken again. This was highly embarrasing as the loose terminal was not noticed by me or several other curious 7 drivers at the circuit. I trailered the car to Caterham where the problem was spotted as soon as the bonnet was lifted!! I hope your problem is as easy to fix.

Paul

L7 FUN

Alex,

4 trackdays so far and so I am just getting to know the car. Needless to say it is bloody quick! Alan told me that you and Roger had helped with the engine build and of course I am grateful for the effort that was put into the car.

Rushing now so will email you this evening.

Paul

L7 FUN

I had something similar not long after I got my car (1600 VX)

Was told that the FIA cut out switch can be a problem and was advised to stick a metal washer on the end of the red switch to improve contact.

Problem in the end was actuall the ECU which had worked slighly loose. Only found it after the car cut out completely and wouldn't start at all.

Did it splutter to a stop or was it a sudden loss of power. I thought my problem had been fuel related at first but ended up being electrical

MikeW

I had something similar not long after I got my car (1600 VX)

Was told that the FIA cut out switch can be a problem and was advised to stick a metal washer on the end of the red switch to improve contact.

Problem in the end was actuall the ECU which had worked slighly loose. Only found it after the car cut out completely and wouldn't start at all.

Did it splutter to a stop or was it a sudden loss of power. I thought my problem had been fuel related at first but ended up being electrical

MikeW

Classic signs of alternator wiring problem. Pull the wires off the back of the alternator and clean well (close up the push on connectors as well).

The alternator wiring forms part of the ignition circuit. When it gets dirty you develop a misfire, when the engine misfires enough it shakes the wiring back into contact and off you go again.

Paul

Glad you are pleased with the car. Alan had me give him a "masterclass" on VX engine building for that one so I know it inside out !

Ex Chairman Roger

Edited by - ecr on 29 Aug 2002 16:13:56

I had a similar sounding thing happen at the weekend in Germany with my carb vx. It turned out to be fuel starvation caused by a vacuum build-up in the fuel tank due to a blocked vent pipe. I took the rubber gasket off the filler cap as a temporary fix.

Earlier in the year i had the problem with the FIA switch which gave similar symptoms and would go away when i held the key and gave it a twist.

I also had another problem (not sounding good this, is it) which started last year and again had the same symptoms. It didn't resurface again until i was spanking it around the 'Ring but then it proved to be a bit more terminal when we were on our way home. The RAC ended up having to trailer it back from Germany.

*eek*

I replaced the plug leads and the ignition module and i haven't had the problem again.

I could go on but i'd only get depressed 😬 😬