Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gear selection problem

Fishy Dave

Help please, I'm a bit sad having put in weeks of work recently changing the engine and gearbox.

Driving away from the Millwood open day today we were travelling at 75 on the M5 in 6th and we started to feel a vibration and a slight knocking sound, which then went away. All gauges checked out ok, then after a few seconds it came back again so I went to change down to 5th and found it was stuck in 6th gear. Indicate over, pull over to the hard shoulder and stop. The car was still trying to pull forwards a little as if the clutch is dragging. With a very firm push I got it out of sixth and into neutral.

I tried to select other gears, and could get third, fourth and reverse but with a struggle. First, fifth and sixth were impossible to get, and trying for second gave a horrible grinding and crunching of teeth. When in neutral with the no clutch depressed the car was still trying to roll along a little. Switched off, bonnet removed and I looked at the clutch cable to see if the double nuts had moved on the selector fork. The nuts looked ok, but gave them a twiddle anyway, then decided I should get back to looking at the car 😬

When depressing the clutch pedal it is moving the cable and selector fork. At this point I admitted defeat and called the AA. The brand new towtruck arrived and was well suited to low cars *thumbup*, good service, nice driver too. Pic here, not what you want to be doing on a Sunday

So, the car is back in my garage. Bearing in mind I have only driven a few hundred miles since installing this engine and gearbox I would think its likely that it's something I have/haven't done? Any ideas before I have to take the engine out again? Could a loose flywheel have caused this (I used my battery impact gun to do the nuts up after using loctite)? I used the clutch that came with my 1600 engine as it was in good shape with plenty of friction material left.

All help and guesses gratefully received.

Thanks, Dave *smile*

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) Joint AR, 07718 368173.

Used to be a 1400, now 1600 supersport race car

Edited by - Fishy Dave on 4 Jul 2010 19:25:29

Is it a 6 speed box? When mine started doing a similar thing it was due to various parts welding themselves together. Needed a new main shaft and a gear (2nd I think) among various other bits. Wasn't cheap. Something else to think about is the spigot bearing in the end of the crank, as that caused me some grief selecting gears.

Simon

niknak.org

{referring to flywheel} I used my battery impact gun to do the nuts up after using loctite

Do you have a part time job at Kwik Fit Dave? It's probably a gearbox problem anyways, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Impact gun? *cool*

Graham

When was the last time the gearbox was serviced/refreshed? Could be worth a call to R&R.

Also, just a thought - do you have the Quaife short shifter? The bearing in that can wear out and start to stiffen up, could be worth having a look before you take the car to bits.

Simon

niknak.org

Edited by - Shad on 5 Jul 2010 07:09:09

I know, I know, the gun just made it easier (and I'm all for that!). *redface*

Well, I only bought the gearbox a couple of weeks before fitting (so, about a month ago), and it was supposed to have had a refresh not long before *confused*

I do have the quaife short shifter, but I haven't fitted it, just using my old 5 speed lever.

Thanks,

Dave

Oh bugger. Was hoping it would be the clutch. I called the guy I bought it from, gave him the symptoms and he said he thought it was a clutch problem.

Will have to take the engine out and take a look. The only good thing is that we don't have much planned in the Seven for the next few weeks.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but whenever your foot is off the clutch, the engine is connected to he gearbox fully via the clutch. If the car is edging forwards in neutral, then somehing inside the gearbox is touching somehing else inside the gearbox that it shouldn't be.

My guess would be one or more bent selector forks. These forks are responsible for sliding the gears around on the shafts when you move the gearstick. The forks can get bent if a gear is forced, say if a previous owner of your gearbox had an incorrectly adjusted clutch that didn't disengage fully, it might have made selecting gears 'difficult' leading to a brute force approach that bent a fork or two. There's a good explanation of how gearboxes work on howstuffworks.com with an excellent animation.

back here because I want to be.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news however, I had exactly the same symptoms on my 6 speed when the needle bearing seized on the 1st-2nd hub and tried to weld itself to the main shaft. I recommend you contact Phil Stewart at Road & Race and get him to strip and rebuild it for you:

Phil Stewart

Road & Race Transmissions

01959 525105

Mark D

I have to echo Mark's diagnosis as I had exactly the same problem a few years back. Gearbox to Phil Stewart at Road & Race is the best way forward (sorry for the pun!).

If you phone him in advance, & get there 1st thing in the morning, he may be able to have it ready for you in the afternoon. You could combine it with a shopping trip or a trip into London.

Thanks guys, I gave Phil a call before your posts and he said exactly the same. I will get the box out and speak to Hogarth racing who I bought it from and see what they say. I would like to think they might make a contribution at least seeing as it was supposed to have a refresh not long before. I have no receipt though, so will just have to hope good will prevails. *smile*

I'm gutted for you Dave ☹️

You said that it was a bit stiff (the gear box 😬) when we were at Poole, Quay for my Car. I hope you get it sorted soon and not too expensive.

It was so sad seeing Beth's sad face at the window of the recovery truck *rolleyes*

cheers Andy

Chaos, Panic and Disorder; my work here is done...

• 1 month later...

Well, I returned the gearbox back to Suffolk, where the guy stripped and rebuilt it for me. The news was not good, it had broken 5th and 2nd gears and had welded second to the main shaft! We did a deal and I paid £450 for the parts and rebuild. Annoying having had such few runs from the box, but I don't think he could have known the box had a fault?

So, I got the gearbox back last Wednesday and I fitted it all back in on Sunday. It feels completely different now, with less transmission noise and a much easier change into first. I'm happy now, just need some good weather to appreciate it.

I really don't want to take that engine out again for some time! *mad*

Dave, you should have popped in for a cuppa as Hogarth/Taylor's Foundry aren't too far away from Ipswich!

I've built 40-odd track, road and race gearboxes for French hatchbacks (106s, Saxos, AXs) and they can be right sods to diagnose problems and niggles without fitting them to the car and running them about, which isn't a 10-minute job! But at least it is all sorted out for you now. *smile*