Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rollcage

petefoster

You need a 'Caged' cage - either that slightly curved outer bars style from 04 and 05 Academy cars or the D-hooped one fitted to the 06 ones. Earlier cages like the one Matthew linked to are not suitable for the post-04 chassis, and metric ones (07 on) won't fit either.

*arrowup*it would indeed be metric and therefore unsuitable.

Come to think of it one of our former racers was selling his 05 cage on ebay recently and ISTR it didn't sell. His car's original advert is still on the Grads site here - might be worth an email or call? It was up at £325 starting price on ebay.

Edited by - coyoteracer11 on 6 Jul 2010 23:00:41

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matthew,

It went for a song £230....missed the finishing time *redface* *redface* *redface*

mind you i had that one on the car before i took it off and sold it and its a pig to get in and out of I was rather looking for a tall cage with the single diaganol, so its easy to get in and will be away from the head when not wearing a helmet on the road....so if anyone has one of those *biggrin* *biggrin* *biggrin*

I plan to live for ever...so far so good!!!

Pete - as per my email a few weeks ago in response to your enquiry re my tall cage, a Safety Devices tall cage is not really suitable your chassis as you do not have the triangular section at the front for the 'lugs'. The only tall cage you could (safely) use is a custom-made one, unless you want to try to modify either car or cage - if you do, I know where there is another one available and can put you in touch with the seller.

The 04-05 Caged cage with the curvy bars and single diagonal was never made in anything other than standard height, except by special order. Of which I've seen a total of 1...

I've been in touch with Caged and a tall cage will be c. £650 for the Roadsport design or £700 for the Superlight design. I don't remember if that's incl. VAT or not *redface*

Fitting is £100 for the Roadsport or £150 for the Superlight. Delivery as an alternative would be about £40.

I'm looking to get a tall cage for next year, but not currently clear whether it would be legal. That's with the regs writers at the moment. More annoyingly, the Superlight cage wouldn't be, as with 10 mounting points (as opposed to 6) it offers more structural rigidity. Notwithstanding that it both looks better and is probably safer (it has side intrusion bars on both sides).

Jez

Thanks Jez

I'm surprised that the superlight cage is not permitted in the rules, are we really saying safety of the driver isn't paramount *eek* *eek* *eek*, lets face it the BHP won't change in fact the car should be slower with all that extra weight of the cage.

Pete

I plan to live for ever...so far so good!!!

• 1 month later...