Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MGF 1.8 engine

Harvey

Firstly apologies if this subject has been discussed already, I looked through the archives but could not find a definitive answer.

I have recently purchased the above engine with a standard Rover ECU. No key or immobiliser supplied.

From what I can gather I will experience problems at start up time, is there a solution other than a new ECU? Can my local Rover dealer assist in any way?

There is a definitive answer somewhere in the archives, but I think you need a matched ECU and immobiliser and won't get the ECU to work on its own.

I take it you don't feel confident of a come back on the seller, because representing the ECU as an asset contributing to the price could be construed as a misrepresentation. If the whole deal was bargain basement then probably best to source an aftermarket ECU and move on.

You could always buy an Emerald ECU and run with the immobilser function deactivated. I am shure if you trace out the function of the two relays in the vehicle multifuction unit it must be possible to bridge out the offending contacts and operate the ECU without the immobiliser circuit.

Thanks to you all, spoke to my "friendly" local Rover dealer who assures me that he will be able to sort something out. Few hurdles to clear before we get to that stage.

No doubt I will be pestering you all for information over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the prompt, reassuring replies.

Harvey