Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Loose rear cam seal

MartinS

Hi,

I've just got back from a track day at Brands Hatch which was cut short rather quickly due to a fairly gushing oil leak from the rear of the engine. I came in the pits as I noticed the oil pressure dropping on right hand corners from 4 to 2. Glad I did as there was a small pool of oil on the garage floor once I'd got out!

The oil was coming from the rear cam seal on the exhaust side of the engine. Once I'd taken the cover off the seal was clearly loose here. Pushing the seal back in cured the problem here, but it just happened again a few more laps later.

The seal looks fine, it isn't perished or anything, but it's clearly too loose. Looking on the Caterham site for replacements, there is a post 1998 part here and a pre-1998 part here. From the colour of the current one I have the post 1998 seal, but as the engine is a rebuild by DVA, I don't know if it's a pre or post 1998 head. Any thoughts on which seal I should get?

Cheers!

Martin

-------------------------------

Martin Saunders

DVA Power 1.8SS - upgradeitus finally bit me!

Martin,

Funny that because a few weeks after Dave did my head work a couple of years ago I had the same seal leak and Dave sent me a replacement which I popped in from the back and it has been fine ever since. The one he sent me was brown/orange colour if that helps.

Give Dave a call im sure he will have some in stock.

Edited by - Steve T on 30 Jun 2010 21:50:08

Hi, thanks, it's been nearly a year since Dave worked on the engine, so I don't want to bother him ideally. When you got the replacement seal, did it appear to be more of a snug fit than the previous one?

M.

-------------------------------

Martin Saunders

DVA Power 1.8SS - upgradeitus finally bit me!

To be honest, the old one looked fine but it just leaked. As it was only fitted a few weeks earlier it seemed pretty much identical to the new one, i drifted it in from the rear with an appropriate sized socket.

Dave will be more than happy to pop one in the post for a small fee im sure.