Click here if you are having website access problems ×

107dB to 98 in one easy step

Ben Willis

Last time at Hethel I was 107dB at 5000. This time 98.3 (although in fairness it was nearer 4500 this time - I am getting better at being noise tested!). All thanks to my rather sexy new titanium Raceco silencer.

I was worried it would now sound too quiet (I like setting off parked car alarms) but from the driver's seat it doesn't sound too different. Very pleased with it all round - feels amazingly light considering it is much bigger than the one that came off (4kg vs 6) and it also bolted straight on.

No connection, just a satisfied customer and all that blah, I just wanted you all to know I've got some titanium on my car and you haven't *tongue*

Also nice that my girlfriend has stopped moaning about her ears bleeding when we go out for a nice long drive. Which we could do more of, had my engine not tried to fall out later on my Hethel trip ☹️

Cheers,

Ben

Spooky - I was checking out their website this morning when I noticed the titanium one being advertised. At 109db, I need a new repackable one too.

Don't suppose you've got any pictures? I'm leaning towards a Hayward and Scott silencer after Matthew Aves sent some pictures of his.

cheers, Matt.

Trawling through the archives on here, it all boils down to whether you get the right inlet size, and whether there's the bracket already welded to the end.

Techcraft seems to be a favourite,but I think you need to do the welding yourself, or get it done.

If you go for an H&S or raceco job, its just a straightforward slip the old one off, slip the new one on, and do up the brackets. A lot less faffing around which is what I'm after.

Raceco come with brackets on. But of course Caterhams being Caterhams, each car is different.

They have templates made up for quite a few different varieties of manifold and original silencer already, so if you have one of these they are off the shelf.

Just to be sure, I sent my old silencer off and they made the new one to match, but as I has a standard sport 5", which I think they already had a pattern for, this probably wasn't needed. It did ensure my new one went straight on though and it took less than a week.

My manifold has a 2 1/8" outlet, but I got the silencer with a 2 1/4" inlet as I'll get a larger collector at some point. For now I have a strip of ali filling the gap which is fine with a bit of fire gum. Raceco do 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 as standard now but I guess they'll do others if needed.

The techcraft doesn't have brackets apparently - and by the time you have got them added by someone, it isn't so cheap.

Ben