Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX broken enigne mount bolts - again

Ben Willis

Surely if my lowly standard XE manages to break both bolts holding the offside mount to the bolt, one of you with a monster must have had and solved the same problem?

One of them broke about a year ago, but I caught it in time and there was a bit of the remainer sticking out of the block. Not so lucky this time - took ages winkling them out. The design does look a little naff, especially the ali tube spacers that are used.

Current plan is to use a single ali plate for the spacer, fit top notch bolts (they were already 12.9s) and check them more often for tightness. Any other tips?

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the replies - not sure if they are good news or not. I thought I would have heard about it before if this was a common problem.

Bottoming out was the first thing I thought of, so I had already checked that. Loctite scares me - if they break again I'll never get the stubs out.

My build manual says only 25lbft I think. Maybe they did just come loose. Spooky. I'll also try 40 and loosening the gearbox mounts as I didn't do that before.

Marco - did you come up with a reason or solution?

Thanks again,

Ben